DELIVERY INSPECTION ADVICE NEEDED

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dgreene62

DELIVERY INSPECTION ADVICE NEEDED

#1 Post by dgreene62 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Hey guys! Need some advice...

I'm supposed to pick up my new boat on Thursday or Friday this week. (2018 Bennington 22 SSRX w Yamaha F150). The salesman at the Bennington dealership has been great thus far and has even indulged me asking about other boats/features AFTER I put down a deposit on this one to make sure I was getting the right boat for me and the family. I don't have my place at the lake yet (hence getting a trailer) and the closest lake to the dealership is about 40 minutes away. I have just assumed that I'm to pick the boat up from the dealership and do a physical inspection there, then tow it to the lake myself and check it out on the water. I've also assumed that I would swing by tomorrow (Weds) to pay them the remaining 90% owed, but then got to thinking that maybe I should just wait and pay them AFTER I inspect the boat. So I'd like the opinion of those who have gone before me to give me advice on the most prudent coarse of action for accepting delivery of my boat.

1. Do you think I should insist the dealer deliver to the lake and take me through the performance of the boat? Do you think they would even do that?
2. Have any of you taken delivery of a boat like this and not had the dealer test it on the water with you?
3. Should I hold the remaining 90% payment (paid 10% down), until I have inspected the boat thoroughly?
4. What things should I look for in the delivery inspection?

Thanks in advance for expertise and advice.
2018 Bennington 22SSRX
Yamaha F150

ROLAND

Re: DELIVERY INSPECTION ADVICE NEEDED

#2 Post by ROLAND » Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 am

dgreene62 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm
Hey guys! Need some advice...

I'm supposed to pick up my new boat on Thursday or Friday this week. (2018 Bennington 22 SSRX w Yamaha F150). The salesman at the Bennington dealership has been great thus far and has even indulged me asking about other boats/features AFTER I put down a deposit on this one to make sure I was getting the right boat for me and the family. I don't have my place at the lake yet (hence getting a trailer) and the closest lake to the dealership is about 40 minutes away. I have just assumed that I'm to pick the boat up from the dealership and do a physical inspection there, then tow it to the lake myself and check it out on the water. I've also assumed that I would swing by tomorrow (Weds) to pay them the remaining 90% owed, but then got to thinking that maybe I should just wait and pay them AFTER I inspect the boat. So I'd like the opinion of those who have gone before me to give me advice on the most prudent coarse of action for accepting delivery of my boat.

1. Do you think I should insist the dealer deliver to the lake and take me through the performance of the boat? Do you think they would even do that?
2. Have any of you taken delivery of a boat like this and not had the dealer test it on the water with you?
3. Should I hold the remaining 90% payment (paid 10% down), until I have inspected the boat thoroughly?

Thanks in advance for expertise and advice.
Hello... it's been 8 or 9 years since I purchased our bennington but I'll try to answer each of your questions..

1- Since it's a 40 minute drive each way, I don't know if I would "insist" on the dealer taking the boat to the lake for you, but I would strongly urge them to do it.. They stand to make a lot of money on that sale so I'm thinking they'll do it.
2- When I bought my boat, I met the salesman at the dealership.. he had the boat and trailer hooked to one of their vehicles and he drove us to the lake and we did do a test run.. Good thing to, battery was completely dead.. He called the shop and we waited for someone to bring out a new battery.. Also a saleman can show you how everything works on a boat at the dealership, but there's nothing like actually having the boat in the water and having them show you how everything works when your actually underway.. also, how else can you check out the most costly part of the boat.. the engine. Definetley check out the outboard and make sure everything's good there.
3- I think I would hold off on paying the balance til everything was to my satisfaction.. but hey, thats just me.
4- general overall inspection.. make sure there was no damage in shipping, make sure all your gauges work... just look her over really close. I know on ours we ordered ours with fishing 6 fishing rod holders.. Nothing fancy, just plain ol black rubber rod holders. When we boarded the boat, there were no rod holders.. Fortunately the GM of the dealership was a friend of the family and he not only had them put in, he had them put in 10 instead of 6 and they were the much nicer looking chrome rod holders. Also we had a slight leak in the live well... found that out during the test drive... everything taken care of that afternoon when our inspection / test drive was finished.

Hope this helps.. and congrats on your new bennington.. I'm sure you and your family will love it.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Wed May 23, 2018 3:38 am

X2 to the above statements, good luck and Godspeed :thumbsup
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

dgreene62

#4 Post by dgreene62 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 am

I sent email to the salesman this morning. I'm skeptical they will want to do this leading up to Memorial Day Weekend. I think I might even be willing to delay the delivery until after the weekend in order to get to check it out with them on the lake. We're not in a hurry and rain is in the forecast anyway.
2018 Bennington 22SSRX
Yamaha F150

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#5 Post by lakerunner » Wed May 23, 2018 6:40 am

1. Do you think I should insist the dealer deliver to the lake and take me through the performance of the boat? Do you think they would even do that? Would be nice but not likely on holiday week.

Absolutely

Make sure all electronics work, fit and finish,trailer lights & brakes, check tires for cracks as sometimes the trailers sit out in weather a long time before old.

Congrats on the new boat.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

BobL

#6 Post by BobL » Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 am

dgreene62 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm
1. Do you think I should insist the dealer deliver to the lake and take me through the performance of the boat?
EVERY new boat I have ever bought required a water test before paying the balance. I either met the dealer a the closest water to them or they brought it to me.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury