titan 60 disc surge brake coupler and bleed questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

fiddlebick

titan 60 disc surge brake coupler and bleed questions

#1 Post by fiddlebick » Thu May 24, 2018 1:36 pm

I'll get right to it. I have a 5 year old surge disc brake coupler Titan 60. I have replaced a brake line but I can't build enough presssure to lock the wheels when spinning by hand. I have bled and bled and bled...no luck. It seems to build a little pressure when I activate the breakaway lever, but feels like its bypassing internally. Titan Tech says if the master cylinder was bad it would be leaking out of the rubber dust boot. He says I still have air in the system, and hes the expert I know. I just can't get past feeling like its an internal problem. We bled my brothers brakes on his pontoon trailer after replacing a broken line, (same titan actuator) and had no problem building pressure and bleeding the air out. His brakes work great. Help Please? I've bled brakes on cars for years and never had any problem.
"I may be old....but I am slow!" 2005 Bennington Rfs, 2004 Honda 135.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: titan 60 disc surge brake coupler and bleed questions

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:07 am

buy one of these and open each bleeder one at a time on the calipers, bleed from there and you will get all the air out.
https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Brake-Bleede ... ke+bleeder
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

fiddlebick

#3 Post by fiddlebick » Sat May 26, 2018 6:09 am

THanks for the reply and advice. I called eastern marine superstore, and they told me the master cylinder COULD be bypassing fluid around the seal and then it slips back around the seal on the return. Finally! A Clue! Just what my brother and I suspected. We removed the MC and disassembled the piston. The seal looked as brand new, but the cylinder bore had a significant score on it, which is enough to let fluid bypass around the seal. NO external leakage associated with this failure, so the Tech guy at Titan will get a informational call back from me next week, after we install the new MC I ordered. He was very nice, but just wrong. There is no rebuild kit available for the master cylinder, so a new one set me back around 60 bucks and shipping. I'll inform him for his future reference. I'll update this thread next weekend.

fiddlebick

#4 Post by fiddlebick » Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 am

My update. Installed the new master cylinder and bled the brakes in short order and that took care of my problems, finally! I talked to Titans Tech line again yesterday and discussed what I had found in my old MC bore. I hope this helps others who may have problems. This forum is awesome.