Plastic Gas Tanks

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jeffh129

Plastic Gas Tanks

#1 Post by jeffh129 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am

I have two of the red plastic gas tanks on the back of my pontoon, six gallons each. I've had to replace both of them over the last few years. They are on the very back of the pontoon, exposed to the sun and rain. Today while getting ready to launch my pontoon for the summer (yeah) my marina service guy said that he's not a fan of leaving them exposed. He said I should bring them into the pontoon after each outing, so that the pontoon cover will keep them protected from the elements. I don't know about that, it gets like an oven in there with the cover on. Plus the potential for fumes . He also said that even with the tank fill cap and vent properly closed, some water from rain will eventually find its way into the tank, another reason for bringing the tanks into the pontoon. He said that one guy he recently talked to was going to buy a large Tupperware type storage bin and place it over the tanks, modifying it so the hoses were able to come out of the container. He thinks that this would be a good, he can leave his tanks out, and yet they would not be exposed to the weather.

Comments on all this please. Most pontoons I see moored at the lake just have their tanks on the back, exposed, with no further safeguards. Our pontoon will be moored at the pier the entire summer. Should I not worry about it , or do you have suggestions? Thank you.

steve1313

Re: Plastic Gas Tanks

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Leave them exposed. The hassle of moving them every time you use the boat isn't worth the trouble. He may be right that you have to replace them more often because they are exposed to the elements but I'd still rather do that one time every few years than mess with them every time. Covering with some sort of Tupperware rig sure sounds it would look like crap.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

guy48065

#3 Post by guy48065 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:26 pm

If I close my cap tight the can swells up like road kill in the sun and gas seeps out around the plastic outlet fitting. I leave it loose.

Even with the constant UV exposure the better cans last several years.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Sat May 26, 2018 8:18 pm

When I had those type of tanks, I’d always leave the vents open. When docked, I put a four inch PVC cap over the top of each to keep any rain out.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

playcraftray

#5 Post by playcraftray » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:31 pm

If you leave them inside the boat the gas will expand with the heat and cause a leak which will damage your carpet or flooring. Don't ask me how I know!!

PlayCraftray

bansil

#6 Post by bansil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Covering with a tote will let fumes collect...bad...bad juju

When tanks get close to empty, why not scuff them up, wipe down with 90% alcohol and paint them with outdoor plastic red paint in a spray can ?

They will look good and be protected from UV
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

trucky

#7 Post by trucky » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am

How about a shade/rain cover made out of a piece of flashing attached to the boat along one edge? It would be flexible enough to lift out of the way to fill or move the cans yet self supporting to help guard against the elements.
07 Bentley 240 Cruise - 115 Mercury EFI Four Stroke

jeffh129

#8 Post by jeffh129 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks for all of the replies, food for thought.