A few questions for this boating season (Engine trouble, vinyl repair)

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: A few questions for this boating season (Engine trouble, vinyl repair)

#16 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:14 am

GOOD NEWS THERE!
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

photonfanatic

#17 Post by photonfanatic » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:59 am

So I'm thinking spray a little starting fluid in the intake, and see if it will run a few seconds. If so, get rid of all bad gas, and replace those 3 filters someone mentioned. Should be good to go at that point.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#18 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:33 am

I would get the old gas out of the tank (by any means possible) drain the VST and change the filters before attempting to run the engine, just my opinion. by starting the engine prior you are just moving possible contamination downstream towards the injectors. anything will start on "starting fluid" that won't tell you a thing. at a bare minimum, I would drain the VST via the small hose (in the video I sent you) and change the other filters
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

OK Toon

#19 Post by OK Toon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am

Something you didn't mention, but you may have done this, but did you squeeze the ball on the fuel line to make sure you had the line pressurized? I know it sounds stupid, but I have a 2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke and my fuel line looses pressure after it's been siting for a month or so. But a few squeezes on the ball puts fuel into the motor and it starts right up.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

sunedog

#20 Post by sunedog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 am

photonfanatic wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:27 pm
As for exactly what the engine is doing, it just sounds like a car that the engine is turning over, but it never will start.
Please tell me you've checked the obvious --> the safety lanyard / kill cord / engine safety cut-out switch (the red thingy in the picture).

photonfanatic

#21 Post by photonfanatic » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am

If that turns out to be it, maybe I'll just act like it was some big problem that I fixed in a very manly way. :lol3

guy48065

#22 Post by guy48065 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:01 am

It's worth noting that on surface-mount remotes like that example the safety lanyard comes in 2 different types. One is an electric "kill" switch like the example shown and definitely needs to be present & functional for the engine to fire. But on others the clip surrounds the key and physically rotates it to "off" when the clip is removed, and doesn't need to be in place for the engine to start.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Rick McC.

#23 Post by Rick McC. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:51 pm

photonfanatic wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:33 am
Well I was thinking more along the lines of getting the engine going and cleaning it in case there were any of those crystal deposits people mentioned.

I ordered a fuel filter. Guess today I'll check that larger fuel/water separator filter. I'll get the model number and just order a new one. Is there anything else I should check, after I change those? Should I remove the VST (Vapor Separator Tank) and check it over? Maybe check the screen inside? Trying to figure out exactly what all I need to do. And yeah this is my education lol. From now on I'll use PRI-G instead of Stabil. Its supposed to be good for 4 years instead of 1.
I’ve been using Pri-G since before they started putting ethanol in gas.

It’s damn good stuff! :bowdown
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

photonfanatic

#24 Post by photonfanatic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 am

Alright I admit it. It was that kill switch. But in my defense, that part on the key should be at least twice as thick as it is. But that is not really a defense. I only noticed that just now. Still though, it does look like I might have to cut up a washer in order to make it thicker.

Those guys at the dealership were going to charge me $600-$1200!

curtiscapk

#25 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:24 am

Kinda reminds me of a newbie 10 years ago that didn't have his throttle in neutral and couldn't get his boat started at the ramp, the very first time he tried to launch it! What a freakin IDIOT! OH WAIT NEVER MIND! :oops: :nono
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

photonfanatic

#26 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Well since we've pretty much got everything else resolved, what about those forward storage things? Are they fairly universal in their shape? And where would be a good place to buy them, since pontoon stuff seems to currently be out of stock or not carrying them.

steve1313

#27 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:56 pm

curtiscapk wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:24 am
Kinda reminds me of a newbie 10 years ago that didn't have his throttle in neutral and couldn't get his boat started at the ramp, the very first time he tried to launch it! What a freakin IDIOT! OH WAIT NEVER MIND! :oops: :nono
That can happen. A "friend" of mine was out in his boat, stopped to float while having a beverage and smoking a cigar. As he was finishing his cigar, he noticed he was getting very close to shore. But no matter how hard I, I mean my "friend" tried, the motor wouldn't start. "He" quickly threw the anchor so the motor wouldn't hit the rocky shoreline. After flipping the battery switch, turning the key, removing and reinstering the kill switch lanyard. still no luck. I was about to call for a tow when I realized it wasn't in neutral. All I could do was laugh.

The only good thing was I was alone on the boat, so I didn't have to endure ridicule from my friends!
Last edited by steve1313 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

NonHyphenAmerican

#28 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Was at the lake one day and a guy had run down his battery trying to start his toon up.

He bought it used from an individual that already had it in the slips.

I loaned him my charger and went out on the lake for a couple of hours.

Come back and he walks down and asks if I'd help him trouble shoot his boat as his is similar to mine.

We disconnect the charger and I go through my personal check list with him.

Motor down.....check.
Throttle in Neutral.......check.
Key in.........check.
Cut off lanyard in place??????? He says "What's that?"
I tell him mine is on a red coiled plastic lanyard and show him where it goes.

"Oh That?" I thought it was just a key lanyard, it's stowed in with the boat junk. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I showed him how to put it in place and told him that quite honestly, I'd never taken mine out and just leave it hanging in place.

I then showed him how to keep the transmission in neutral by pushing in on the center of the throttle and pushing it forward to get a high idle to let it warm up.

Pushed it up about 1/2-2/3rds, hit the key and it started right up.

The guy looked at me like I was a genius.

I told him that when I first got my toon, I'd had to learn things as it was different than my little fishing boat. I suggested he come on here for helpful advice.

He backed out of the slip, and motored out onto the lake, hopefully o have a fun time.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]