Good Deal or bad idea?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

braindead89

Good Deal or bad idea?

#1 Post by braindead89 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:38 am

I just bought a project pontoon. Its been sitting in a marina (inside storage) for over 6 years. When it came in the owner didnt want to spend the money for a starter so its been sitting ever since. I just bought it. Thought I,d put on a new starter, rebuilt the carbs, new gas line and give it a try. I tried to raise and lower the motor to work on it and I'm getting clicks at the relays(in a box near the battery) with the key off. If I turn the key to the on position I get nothing. THe boat is a 96 so I figured the engine was too but to my surprize its a 1983.
My question is, Is there a simple test or anything I should look for. Is this trim something more costly to fix than its worth?

Boat is a 1996 20 foot Harris Kayot
The engine is a 1983 Evinrude 90 hp V4

tkrein

Re: Good Deal or bad idea?

#2 Post by tkrein » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Sounds like battery issues. With the relay clicks makes me think of battery. When you turn the key something else is taking power. Or you candles are hooked up wrong check that. Is the battery new and is it charged.
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

Retired OG

Re: Good Deal or bad idea?

#3 Post by Retired OG » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:02 am

What motor? With the key off, you shouldn't be getting any clicks...if you're interested in getting it running, the second step is buying a OEM service manual with a wiring diagram for that specific motor...Yesterday,I fired up my "new to me" 1975 Evinrude 70 hp that has been sitting for over 16 years...first try of the key, all I got was a "click" of the solenoid switch....I went back an manually worked the teeth of the starter up to where it contacted the flywheel and rotated it so the brushes on the starter motor were in a different position...now it works...before I went any further, I ran a compression test (first step in deciding whether or not to attempt a resurrection). Next step was rebuilding the carbs, because at a "minimum", they should be disassembled and cleaned...Last night I wired in a new rectifier.
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark