Battery locations for adding 24v trolling motor

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Calveryc

Battery locations for adding 24v trolling motor

#1 Post by Calveryc » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:17 pm

I’m adding a 24v trolling motor and need some battery location ideas for optimal weight distribution. Currently I have 2 batteries in the rear; 1 for cranking and 1for accessories and 1 battery in the front right for my current 12v. I can either run a cable back to my accessories battery and not have to add a battery but risk running that battery down or I can add a fourth battery opposite the front battery and just connect them. Would that additional weight up front cause any issues? How do you have your 24v set up.

boocat

Re: Battery locations for adding 24v trolling motor

#2 Post by boocat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:48 am

I'll keep an eye on your thread. I'm wanting a 24v also. Pretty cut and dry that my 2 batts will be midships. I'm looking at the Power Drive V2 48 inch. Alot of opinion is that it is too short but I think it will be fine. I'm sure that Minn Kota would not have brought it to market if it was unusable and I don't plan on bouncing around in 3ft rollers. We always used a troll motor on our other boat and it became apparent real fast that it will be a necessity on the pontoon if we want to fish. We like to poke around in the timber and stay on brush piles.

jediger

Re: Battery locations for adding 24v trolling motor

#3 Post by jediger » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:35 am

I have my trolling motor batteries under the helm. It's a shorter run to the bow and I have less seating on that starboard side anyway, so when the boat is loaded with people it actually helps balance the load.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC