On water towing

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Marc K

On water towing

#1 Post by Marc K » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 pm

I like to plan ahead, so I researched whom to call for a tow if I break down out on the lake. My boat has been s u p e r reliable, but I'm old enough to feel that Murphy was an optimist....

I found Tow Boat USA online and called their local franchise operation here on my lake. They charge $179.00 per hour with a 1 hour minimum from the time that they reach your boat. My lake isn't huge at around 18 miles long North-to-South, but I'm on the end of a 5 mile long arm, off the lake. If I get stuck way "up lake" with the grandkids, I would be willing to pay that! Their service includes a jump start or delivering some gas if that's what you need.<br/>

But, for a yearly membership fee of $72.00 you get unlimited tows - and a break on their mobile boat repair and maintenance services. In addition, the deal covers ME, so if I borrow a watercraft and it breaks down - the tow is still free. This particular company has multi-level plans, including concierge type service at the marina that I don't need.

Guess who's number is in my cell phone and on a piece of tape on the VHF? <br/>

There certainly may be other, better options out there - but I thought I would share what I found.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

riplipper

Re: On water towing

#2 Post by riplipper » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:50 pm

you have two options
Tow boat US or Sea tow. Both are very good, choose the one that is most prevalent in your area. I have tow boat US right now, but have had Sea tow in past.

If you are on a small lake, your regular insurance tow clause may be enough, but if on big body of water or salt water you would be crazy not to have it.

I have never needed it but its a great comfort knowing that if you do, you will not be out of pocket $800 for towing
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#3 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 am

I operate in the GOM, last Saturday I put 40 miles on my boat, pensacola Bay, out into the gulf, 15 miles west in the gulf to the Alabama pass, cruised around and back to Pensacola via the ICW, I've had Tow Boat US for 20 years, I don't leave the dock without it. if you operate on a small area of water, and you need a tow back to the dock, no problem, I've done it a dozen times when its close by, and convenient for me. But if I'm out in the gulf, fishing, cruising or whatever and you flag me down and ask for me to spend the next 2-3 hours of my day towing you back to a boat ramp, AND you/or your vessel is NOT in distress, I'm going to get on my VHF and hail your choice of towboat or sea tow if you wish, and bid you a good day. I have unlimited towing anywhere I operate, and as stated whatever boat I may be in, for $149 per year, coastal close in plan is half that, if someone can't afford that to take care of themselves and their family/crew maybe they should pick another recreation. I guarantee, you'll use towing insurance probably way before boat insurance; I have. 12 mile tow in from off-shore (another boat) $1600 invoice sent to me, amount owed= $00.00.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Marc K

#4 Post by Marc K » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Good input.

After living in a small west coast fishing village (Morro Bay, CA) this is all new to me. Stranded? You made a VHF call to the Harbor Master or the USCG. If they were busy, another "local" would come out and throw you line, knowing that the favor would be returned. Most of us kept the VHF radio on in the background. The USCG station chief, fire dept and harbor master also knew who was willing to pitch in when needed. The system worked well. If it was "standing up" on the bar and there was a call for help, all of us turned out (but stayed inside the second break) to help where needed.

If the USCG was not busy on an SAR call, they saw towing as good training - unless the foul weather warning flags were flying - then you shouldn't have been out there!

But they still went out........

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Marc K wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:03 pm
Good input.

After living in a small west coast fishing village (Morro Bay, CA) this is all new to me. Stranded? You made a VHF call to the Harbor Master or the USCG. If they were busy, another "local" would come out and throw you line, knowing that the favor would be returned. Most of us kept the VHF radio on in the background. The USCG station chief, fire dept and harbor master also knew who was willing to pitch in when needed. The system worked well. If it was "standing up" on the bar and there was a call for help, all of us turned out (but stayed inside the second break) to help where needed.
If the USCG was not busy on an SAR call, they saw towing as good training - unless the foul weather warning flags were flying - then you shouldn't have been out there!
But they still went out........
Marc
Small towns are like that, however, off the Florida coast there can be at any given time 5-15 boats needing tows on a busy weekend, maybe more. Many hundreds of boats shoot out the inlets on the weekend mornings.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:40 pm

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 am
and you flag me down and ask for me to spend the next 2-3 hours of my day towing you back to a boat ramp, AND you/or your vessel is NOT in distress, I'm going to get on my VHF and hail your choice of towboat or sea tow if you wish, and bid you a good day.
I'm with you there. 11 years out of Panama City Beach and always had Sea Tow on speed dial. I once bypassed a ragged out pontoon beached on Crooked Island with a bad engine. Tide was changing, producing large waves in the pass. The rope the guy had was knotted-up nylon ski rope and there wasn't enough of it for his overloaded vessel. I wasn't accepting that kind of responsibility but I offered radio or cell phone help and could have gotten him a proper tow promptly but he took a pass. Guess he paddled home.

So you don't think I'm heartless, I did tow (in the bay) some fisherman a couple miles to Tyndall AFB docks. They went up in the shallows and hit something.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

BoatCop

#7 Post by BoatCop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Check your boat insurance. You might already have on-water towing coverage, or can get it for a reasonable (better than Boat US/Vessel Assist/Sea Tow) price. On my Progressive Policy, I have it for $30 a year. They will find the closest tow/salvage and call for me. I don't have to worry that the lake/port I may be visiting has BOAT US, or whatever towing service, nor have to worry about paying up front, or tying up a credit card, and waiting for reimbursement. Progressive will arrange the tow, give them payment over the phone, and will even pay for a service call if they have to bring gas, a battery, parts, or whatever. (They'll pay for the call, but not the cost of the gas, parts, etc)
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#8 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 am

zoom650 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:40 pm
FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 am
and you flag me down and ask for me to spend the next 2-3 hours of my day towing you back to a boat ramp, AND you/or your vessel is NOT in distress, I'm going to get on my VHF and hail your choice of towboat or sea tow if you wish, and bid you a good day.
I'm with you there. 11 years out of Panama City Beach and always had Sea Tow on speed dial. I once bypassed a ragged out pontoon beached on Crooked Island with a bad engine. Tide was changing, producing large waves in the pass. The rope the guy had was knotted-up nylon ski rope and there wasn't enough of it for his overloaded vessel. I wasn't accepting that kind of responsibility but I offered radio or cell phone help and could have gotten him a proper tow promptly but he took a pass. Guess he paddled home.

So you don't think I'm heartless, I did tow (in the bay) some fisherman a couple miles to Tyndall AFB docks. They went up in the shallows and hit something.
Me either, here is pic from last summer, we had just left the Navy Base boat launch and these guys were in the bay, ran out of gas, I turned around gave them a 2 mile tow back to the Navy Point Boat Ramp. took 30 mins, no problem.
Attachments
towboat.jpg
towboat.jpg (316.41 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150