Bottom Paint

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

rbiederwolf

Bottom Paint

#1 Post by rbiederwolf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:00 am

I want to bottom paint my pontoons. I keep the boat in salt water. I understand the problems associated with copper paints and aluminum hulls. Below are the details from the person doing the work.... Just want to make sure I do not have any problems with the copper top coat and aluminum pontoons.....

The SeaHawk Aluma Kawk Aluminum Boat Paint will be used as a barrier ( 2 coats). It will be applied 3 inches above waterline and the entire bottom.
The SeaHawk Barrier Coat Primer ( 4 coats) will be applied along the waterline.
The Trinidad Pro ( 3 coats) will be applied along the waterline as well. (This will ensure that none of the Trinidad paint will touch the aluminum)

Note: I could not find any hard bottom paint that was copper free. Due to that fact you put the boat on a trailer sometime, you should not use ablative bottom paint.
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Bottom Paint

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 am

sounds correct, the Trinadad Pro is a good bottom anti fouling paint, and hard enough to not come off when trailering.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:40 am

Wow, that sounds like a lot of layers of paint??? Admittedly I know nothing about bottom paints, but may need to do this myself at some point, so very Interested to hear what others say.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:20 pm

We use ablative paint mostly down here, of a kind that also must be blocked from touching the aluminum.

They use some sort of epoxy primer before the bottom paint is put on.

I have some currently on my toons (came with the boat), but won’t replace it when it wears off. We’re in fresh water at our dock, but mostly use the boat out in the Gulf.

Boat stays in the water year round.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.