Old Gas

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Capt Sully

Old Gas

#1 Post by Capt Sully » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm

I have a half tank of old gas from last year, I had Stabilizer in it at the time. Any way to save this, or do you think it can still be used ?
2012 Xcurison X23C
Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke
Dual axle full bunk trailer ready to go
All pulled with Z71 4WD Silverado
Maritime mobile KD4LZL
Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
FVC USCG Auxiliary
Vietnam 66 / 67

curtiscapk

Re: Old Gas

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 pm

I think with Stabil it should be fine. add some fresh good to go. BTW welcome back!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Been there, had those problems, water builds faster than you think.. Now I'm trying to have only enough to use for the trip at hand.. Even when tank if full( old school thinking) ethanol still absorbs water and I really don't think I need to carry around all that weight for a 60 hp motor. Would take forever for me to use 32 gals. And I'm using ethanol free when ever possible, added a racor separator/filter and continue with the conditioners. Iv'e had the water in the stock filter situation, motor wouldn't run over 3000rpm. Pumped all that out and used it in my lawnmower.

boocat

#4 Post by boocat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Carry the proper whatever to let you get your filter off the motor and pour out the water if you go dead on the lake. Friend of mine had to do that.
ethanal sucs

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 pm

I would siphon half off if you have tanks and fill will fresh. Use the old stuff in lawn mower or little by little in your truck with lots of good fuel.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#6 Post by lakerunner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 pm

If non ethonal I would drop a can of octane booster and hit the lake
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

boocat

#7 Post by boocat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:06 pm

The ethanol I have here is fairly high, like 93 I think. But there is another place close by with 86, no bueno, gotta watch that . Problem I saw with octane booster, it dont's tell ya how much booster raises octane xxx amount.

steve1313

#8 Post by steve1313 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:16 pm

boocat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm
Would take forever for me to use 32 gals.
That must be nice! I use about 25 gallons in one busy weekend!!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Rick McC.

#9 Post by Rick McC. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I haven’t used ethanol gas in any of my boats, motorcycles, etc. since I found out they were putting it in the gas.

I also use PRI-G fuel stabilizer, and have been for more years than they’ve been adding ethanol.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

ROLAND

#10 Post by ROLAND » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 am

Rick McC. wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm
I haven’t used ethanol gas in any of my boats, motorcycles, etc. since I found out they were putting it in the gas.

I also use PRI-G fuel stabilizer, and have been for more years
I agree with Rick... if there's anyway possible, avoid using gas with ethanol... not sure where you live but you can find ethanol free gas stations by going to https://www.pure-gas.org/ find your state, find your city or closet one to you for a list of e-free gas... I also use Pri G in my boat, and all my lawn equipment. I am sold on this stuff.. I've had my boat 9 years.. usually I try to run the tank down as much as possible at the end of the season, but regardless of how much fuel is left in the tank, I have never drained it.. Just used Pri G in my fuel and at the beginning of the next season top off the tank with fresh fuel.. Never had an issue.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

boocat

#11 Post by boocat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 am

boocat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:06 pm
The ethanol I have here is fairly high, like 93 I think. But there is another place close by with 86, no bueno, gotta watch that . Problem I saw with octane booster, it dont's tell ya how much booster raises octane xxx amount.
meant to say ETHANOL FREE I have here is 93 octane. My fingers leave out words sometimes.

Rick McC.

#12 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 pm

ROLAND wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 am
Rick McC. wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I also use PRI-G fuel stabilizer, and have been for more years
I agree with Rick... if there's anyway possible, avoid using gas with ethanol... not sure where you live but you can find ethanol free gas stations by going to https://www.pure-gas.org/ find your state, find your city or closet one to you for a list of e-free gas... I also use Pri G in my boat, and all my lawn equipment. I am sold on this stuff.. I've had my boat 9 years.. usually I try to run the tank down as much as possible at the end of the season, but regardless of how much fuel is left in the tank, I have never drained it.. Just used Pri G in my fuel and at the beginning of the next season top off the tank with fresh fuel.. Never had an issue.
Same here; I had my last boat for 11 years, and never drained one drop out of the 60+ gallon tank.

The only things I ever had to replace on that boat was an icebox latch, two batteries (once), a fresh water pump (for the sink and shower), seals in the hydraulic steering ram, a fuel bulb, and a water pump kit (twice, as maintenance).

No carb work, fuel tank or line work, and the damn thing still had the spark plugs in it that it came with when I sold it.

I also use e-free gas and PRI-G in my motorcycle and small engine stuff as well, cause with the weather down here, you never know just how long somehing may sit before it’s used again.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.