Marine 31 Mildew

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rick McC.

Marine 31 Mildew

#1 Post by Rick McC. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 pm

This is the product that I’ve been looking for as long as I’ve owned boats!

It actually does remove all the mildew, even the stuff that other products left behind, and our boats are left in the water year round.

I cleaned all my seats, and even the stuff on the vinyl floor that nothing else would touch.

I just sprayed it on, and never even had to touch anything with a brush or rag.

Three weeks later with rain almost everyday, and no mildew has even started to grow back.

I tried everything over the years with limited success, but this stuff is the real deal!

https://www.marine31.com
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

TWB

Re: Marine 31 Mildew

#2 Post by TWB » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:23 am

Hey, Rick.
I also found the wonder of Marine 31. The toon had been on a lift, exposed to saltwater for 15 years. It really cleaned seats that were expected to be beyond saving. The only caution would be to be sure to fully rinse everything. Marine 31 has a lot of bleach! Bleach + upholstery thread = :cry:

download/file.php?id=21966
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#3 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am

Just ordered a bottle on AMAZON, we'll see how it does, my seats are great, just a few little tiny dots here and there which I've kept in check with Marine Spray 9, but my Gray Bimini is pretty bad, I want to see how this does on that.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

guy48065

#4 Post by guy48065 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:50 am

It's the "lot of bleach" part that concerns me. I found plain bleach does an awesome, quick job of removing mildew & stains but I'm scared I'm shortening the life of my seats.
Rick McC. wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 pm
Does it say in the instructions to spray on & leave it?
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

TWB

#5 Post by TWB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:01 am

guy48065 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:50 am
It's the "lot of bleach" part that concerns me. I found plain bleach does an awesome, quick job of removing mildew & stains but I'm scared I'm shortening the life of my seats.
Rick McC. wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 pm
Does it say in the instructions to spray on & leave it?

Hey, Mark. We didn't leave it on long. It zapped the mold and mildew in just a few minutes. Sprayed it on dry, let it sit for a few, then we used a wet medium-soft brush to get the grundge, and then thoroughly rinsed it. That was a few months ago and I've seen no sign of thread wear yet. Rinse, rinse, rinse.

download/file.php?id=21965

From their website:

Directions:
Spray directly onto surface and allow 1-3 minutes for penetration.
If necessary, agitate surface with a brush or terrycloth towel.
For stubborn stains, allow cleaner to penetrate for 5 minutes before agitating.
Thoroughly rinse and dry surface.
Follow with Marine 31 Mildew Guard to protect treated surfaces.
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

Marc K

#6 Post by Marc K » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 pm

When I bought my pontoon boat, it had been sitting in a boathouse on a sling for over three years – what a mess…..
When I inspected it, I assumed that it was time for all new furniture. I tried every product that I came across, but nothing worked. Eventually, I found Marine 31…. It is fantastic!

I sprayed it on, let it stand for a few minutes – wiped it off with a rough washcloth, them rinsed with lake water. A few spots needed another application, but they were few and far between. Yes, it is a bleach product and will leave stains on aluminum railings - so pay attention.

After scrubbing and brushing with so many other highly recommended products that "kind of, almost worked" I am really impressed with Marine 31 because this stuff just plain works.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

guy48065

#7 Post by guy48065 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 am

Very high praise.

This summer I was talking to my neighbor about the constant battle with mildew. He's full time at the lake (I'm a one-weekend-a-month) and he highly recommended "Rammo Power Ultimate R.V. Mold & Mildew Eliminator" he bought at Walmart. It's NOT bleach, and is non-toxic but he claims it cleans as well as bleach and the mildew doesn't come back. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Anyone else try this stuff?
Rammo.jpg
Rammo.jpg (260.73 KiB) Viewed 5638 times
Mark
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

riplipper

#8 Post by riplipper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am

Never heard of Marine 31 but a picture says a 1000 words. That looks awesome. Not sure how it does all that without bleach in it?? looks amazing. :bier
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#9 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:09 am

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am
Just ordered a bottle on AMAZON, we'll see how it does, my seats are great, just a few little tiny dots here and there which I've kept in check with Marine Spray 9, but my Gray Bimini is pretty bad, I want to see how this does on that.
Reporting back on results: I was very impressed with the Marine 31, it removed some very small (pin head size) spots that were on the seats, hard to see but I knew they were there. I have tried Marine Spray 9, Clorox cleanup, AWESOME, 303 Cleaner, magic eraser, Vinegar, nothing would remove them. I took the end of a rag and soaked it with the 31, dabbed it on the spots repeatedly until the area was wet, let it sit 2 or 3 minutes then wiped it off with a little scrubbing action from a terrycloth towel, and the spots were gone. wetting the rag heavily and wiping it on is more accurate than spraying the area if you are trying to avoid the stitches in the seams. good freshwater rinse following, dry and applied the 303 protectant.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Rick McC.

#10 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:00 pm

It was my understanding that this product IS NOT A BLEACH. That’s why I bought it.

This from their website:

“Marine 31 Mildew Remover quickly and safely removes stubborn mildew stains on virtually all marine surfaces, including vinyl seat cushions, rubber fenders, fiberglass, gel coat, canopies, and more! Marine 31 Mildew Remover forgoes volatile cleaners and instead relies on smart chemistry; even severe mildew growth is no match for the incredible cleaning power of Marine 31 Mildew Remover.”

And this:

“Not all marine mildew removes are created equal! Most over-the-counter marine mildew cleaners rely on heavy concentrations of bleach and other volatile chemicals that actually cause more harm than good. Marine 31 Mildew Remover removes stubborn mildew stains without discoloring, dulling, or drying out vinyl surfaces. Best of all, it still retains the powerful cleaning ability to remove mildew stains – FAST!”

Oh yeah; I figured y’all would like it. :biggrin2
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

tcpip95

#11 Post by tcpip95 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Once you've cleaned your seats, give them a light coating of mineral oil to rejuvenate the vinyl. Wipe it on with a soft cloth, then wipe the excess off. After that apply 303 for the UV protection.
2012 Bennington 24 SSL
150 HP Yamaha
.45 1911 Security System

Marc K

#12 Post by Marc K » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 pm

riplipper wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am
Never heard of Marine 31 but a picture says a 1000 words. That looks awesome. Not sure how it does all that without bleach in it?? looks amazing. :bier
Marine 31 has the distinctive smell of bleach, so I am willing to assume that it is a bleach blend of some kind.
I did NOT avoid the seams/stitching - I just soaked everything and I let it sit. So I guess I will see if there is a problem with thread breakdown. It's only been since January. It did not discolor my carpet, but it did leave white spots on the aluminum railing where it sat for about an hour.

As far as i'm concerned, these guys make a powerful mildew/mold remedy that worked for me when nothing else did.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

guy48065

#13 Post by guy48065 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 am

2 year old thread:
guy48065 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:38 am
Reviewing the mildew topic using Search, there's a lot of positive comments on "Mean Green Mildew Destroyer".
I bought a bottle of it (Dollar General) and a bottle of Jomax house cleaner & mildew killer. Mixed that with bleach per directions.
Also took a bottle of L.A.s Totally Awesome and a bottle of Tilex out to the boat.

All these have their fans.

The only one that REALLY worked well was the Mean Green Mildew Destroyer. As in faded the stains "right before my eyes". Tilex was a distant 2nd. Jomax did nothing to fade the stain but it's supposed to KILL the mildew spores so they don't come back, so might be a good 2nd step.

The Mean Green has a STRONG bleach smell so all the cautions about keeping it off fabrics & stitching apply.
The breeze blew some back on me and I can tell you it's also an excellent Shirt Destroyer!

I'll have to get a bottle of Mildew 31 and my Rammo "Ultimate" and repeat my test. The Holy Grail is any product that works well and doesn't contain actual bleach.
Mark
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#14 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:08 am

agreed, M-31 does contain bleach, you can smell it. that doesn't bother me, I've used bleach containing products on boats my whole life. it works.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

TWB

#15 Post by TWB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 am

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:09 am
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am
Reporting back on results: I was very impressed with the Marine 31, it removed some very small (pin head size) spots that were on the seats, hard to see but I knew they were there. I have tried Marine Spray 9, Clorox cleanup, AWESOME, 303 Cleaner, magic eraser, Vinegar, nothing would remove them. I took the end of a rag and soaked it with the 31, dabbed it on the spots repeatedly until the area was wet, let it sit 2 or 3 minutes then wiped it off with a little scrubbing action from a terrycloth towel, and the spots were gone. wetting the rag heavily and wiping it on is more accurate than spraying the area if you are trying to avoid the stitches in the seams. good freshwater rinse following, dry and applied the 303 protectant.
Hey FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 - Did you use it on the bimini? Interested in what you needed and how it did.
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp