New pontoon owner with new boat has questions.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

riplipper

New pontoon owner with new boat has questions.

#1 Post by riplipper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:07 am

New to pontoon boats, and just took delivery of a Harris 220 tritoon with 200 Verado.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated. It so far has been a HORRIBLE buying experience. I will leave it at that.

Prop question. Max engine rpms should be 6400 at WOT. Will only get to 5300 trimmed giving me 39mph. Prop is a Enertia 15.3 X 14P. This is a LONG was from max rpms.
Any Ideas what prop to try. I tried the Michigan wheel calculator...16X16 ???? I think that is the wrong direction.

Cavitation plate. Never owning a tritoon before, I do notice a huge difference between the amount of water wash rushing past the engine. In previous boats, cats and monos, my cavitation plate was at water level when at cruz speed or faster. This boat at full speed, the plate seems to still be just under all the water wash. Is this normal. Motor is mounted almost as high as it can go with just one slot left. Maybe 1/2 inch.

My power steering is stiff as hell too. I assume it needs to be bled or something. Could it be anything else.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

steve1313

Re: New pontoon owner with new boat has questions.

#2 Post by steve1313 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am

Are you sure you have power steering and not just hydraulic steering?
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:22 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am
Are you sure you have power steering and not just hydraulic steering?
Yes, I stand corrected. Hydraulic steering. Still, WAY stiffer than I have ever had before. BTW, see your up at lake anna, grew up fishing those lakes. Used to be GREAT bass fishing in the winter months on the cooling lakes. Sunk many a Christmas tree in some of those creeks :biggrin2
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:41 am

Sounds as if you are reluctant to face your dealer after a negative buying experience. Unfortunately it is his responsibility to properly setup your boat to where it gets 100% of performance.

First of all, any 200 horsepower tritoon needs power steering. Mercury outboard motors should have an integral p/s pump. Other brand outboards usually use SeaStar power steering assist which includes an external pump--just under $3,000 installed. (My 150 hp with no p/s Seastar gets hard to steer over 30 mph.)

You have the best propeller there is for a 200 horsepower Merc. But you are already some 1000 rpm's under where your motor operates best. I would think a 15-16 pitch would be the proper propeller. Sounds as if your engine needs raised or that your engine has a longer lower unit than the boat was built for. The motor might not be running right too.

Start by getting your engine model number off the serial number plate so you can figure out the lower unit length. And write down your hull serial number. Then contact Harris Customer Service and ask them what length lower unit your hull was built for. Also ask them what pitch propeller is suggested for your boat/motor combo. (I know Bennington suggests engine/prop combos with their new boat prep checklists.). Unfortunately you will have to deal with the dealer again.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks BAMA, those are some very helpful suggestions. Its a 25 inch shaft.
The cavitation plate is about 1 inch above the very bottom of center toon. I can move it up one more hole. I know glass boats are usually about 2" up. So that would move me about another 3/4 inch higher.
Spoke to Mercury direct and he said that boat should have probably a 16-17 pitch so something is definitely wrong. He really did not have any other suggestions other than to work with the dealer.

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Whew .. where to start. My Harris guy turned a deaf ear to me, so I kept on until I found someone who would help me, so don't give up. I even found better service at another Harris dealer in my state. I guessing you need to talk to the manager in charge of rigging, probably the service manage. Be persistant, you paid a ton of $$ for that boat.

I've got a 150 Verado on a Solstice 220 with a Enertia 14P, and at last check with Vessel View, it ran 38 mph @ 5950 rpm. The 150's range is 5900-6200. Do you have an analog tachometer? If so, there's a switch on the back for calibrating. Your's may not be on the correct position and thus appearing to read low. However, with the 200, I would think you'd be able to see the low 40's. (If you're breaking in a new Verado be mindful of the procedure. Get the engine broken in before worrying about top end speed. RPMs are different)

You should have terrific hole shot with the 14p on a 200. My dealer asked me if I wanted it rigged to pull a tuber or was I more interested in top-end speed and I wound up with the 14p. How about cavitation during a hard turn? I get very little on a hard high-speed turn. Might be another clue as to whether your engine is optimally rigged.

Steering: Open the hydraulic system port and see if it needs topping off/bled off with fluid. My Yamaha port was on top of the steering column. Not sure about the Merc. I've got the power-assisted steering on my Verado and it's smooth as silk. Probably one of the best options I sprung for. Sorry, I know you didn't need to hear that.

I kept a punch list and a couple months into ownership when back and had it all corrected. I know it's frustrating and most of us who purchased new boats feel your pain.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

riplipper

#7 Post by riplipper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:57 pm

zoom650 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 pm
Whew .. where to start. My Harris guy turned a deaf ear to me, so I kept on until I found someone who would help me, so don't give up. I even found better service at another Harris dealer in my state. I guessing you need to talk to the manager in charge of rigging, probably the service manage. Be persistant, you paid a ton of $$ for that boat.

I've got a 150 Verado on a Solstice 220 with a Enertia 14P, and at last check with Vessel View, it ran 38 mph @ 5950 rpm. The 150's range is 5900-6200. Do you have an analog tachometer? If so, there's a switch on the back for calibrating. Your's may not be on the correct position and thus appearing to read low. However, with the 200, I would think you'd be able to see the low 40's. (If you're breaking in a new Verado be mindful of the procedure. Get the engine broken in before worrying about top end speed. RPMs are different)

You should have terrific hole shot with the 14p on a 200. My dealer asked me if I wanted it rigged to pull a tuber or was I more interested in top-end speed and I wound up with the 14p. How about cavitation during a hard turn? I get very little on a hard high-speed turn. Might be another clue as to whether your engine is optimally rigged.

Steering: Open the hydraulic system port and see if it needs topping off/bled off with fluid. My Yamaha port was on top of the steering column. Not sure about the Merc. I've got the power-assisted steering on my Verado and it's smooth as silk. Probably one of the best options I sprung for. Sorry, I know you didn't need to hear that.

I kept a punch list and a couple months into ownership when back and had it all corrected. I know it's frustrating and most of us who purchased new boats feel your pain.
Thanks Zoom, Hole shot is amazing on this thing.
spoke with Mercury again and got completely different answer than before. I did ask about the tach setting and she then said "oh yeah" you could check that. My dealer didn't think of it either. She also told me to "lower" the motor, which I have never heard of???? The guy I spoke to earlier said to raise it up. Funny, sad and frustrating.
Going to check my tach now. Is your prop a 15.3 inch.
And have to adjust my trailer as well.....most dealers are just a pain in the ass.
thanks again for the help.

riplipper

#8 Post by riplipper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Zoom, changed tach setting to 6P, which is what Merc tech told me to put it on......will try running it tomorrow. . Apparently, certified merc dealers/mechanics and merc tech service are not real good at seeing the forest for the trees.

keeping my fingers crossed that corrects the issue. thanks again for the suggestion

boocat

#9 Post by boocat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:28 pm

I know nothing about those big bad motors but 6400 sure sounds fast.

Drago

#10 Post by Drago » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:41 am
Sounds as if you are reluctant to face your dealer after a negative buying experience. Unfortunately it is his responsibility to properly setup your boat to where it gets 100% of performance.

First of all, any 200 horsepower tritoon needs power steering. Mercury outboard motors should have an integral p/s pump. Other brand outboards usually use SeaStar power steering assist which includes an external pump--just under $3,000 installed. (My 150 hp with no p/s Seastar gets hard to steer over 30 mph.)

<snip>
Bamaman, I know you've been around a long while and I've always looked up to your advice and answers here.
BUT, I've driven just a few toons with 200 or more HP and non had PS. Our '07 25' triple tube does not have PS. I've never experienced any issues making hard fast turns. It has SeaStar hydraulic and handles like an F14 (just kidding). I would not call over 30 being "hard" but the wheel will most surely fight back a bit and Ps would be a big + but not absolutely necessary.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

riplipper

#11 Post by riplipper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 am

Made some progress today. Switched the tack setting per a dingbat at Mercury and rpms got worse :donno
So while out on the water this morning called and got a different rep. Explained the situation and he told me that I had the wrong setting and to try another specific setting.
With that done, my boat now revs to 6600 rmps, did this with him on the phone. Max recommended is 6500 in which he said the motor should limit the engine to 6500. He did
say that this is the correct setting and that the tack, depending on brand, could be off by 1-200 rpms. It is idling just about 100rpms high.

So now I just need to change prop with a bit more pitch. Currently a 14 so thinking of 16. Any recommendations? My use would be 16-22 mph cruising 75% of the time.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#12 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 am

I think your on point for the 16P prop, I'd go with enertia, get your WOT RPM in the top range with a light to normal load on the boat and call it a day, once you've reached the right WOT RPM, the speed is really irrelevant, it is what it will be.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

riplipper

#13 Post by riplipper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:48 am

Yup, I don't care about speed, just want it to run right.

captain28570

#14 Post by captain28570 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 pm

saw your post on THT about this issue.

Tom W Clark is the prop expert over there. Has many years of experience.
He said a 15 Enertia would be his choice. I would listen to him.
2017 22 Manitou Aurora LE SHP Tritoon Evinrude G2 HO 150

riplipper

#15 Post by riplipper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:17 am

captain28570 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 pm
saw your post on THT about this issue.

Tom W Clark is the prop expert over there. Has many years of experience.
He said a 15 Enertia would be his choice. I would listen to him.
I saw your post over there as well, thank you. My boat does have lifting strakes on all three toons.

Now that I have the tac adjustment corrected I have some more work to do,
Verify speed with gps, speedo is saying 39 right now with 6500 rpms.
If that is true, I think the 15 might be the ticket.

Thanks again.