Tritoon hunt

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Nickoteen

Tritoon hunt

#1 Post by Nickoteen » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to world of pontoons but not boating. Previously had run abouts and offshore powerboats, but now it's time for something more family friendly that I don't have to work on every summer. I know boaters are a brand loyal group so just trying to cut through that somewhat and get an idea of what is good value. I also know that big quality differences exist across manufactures so I guess I'll play a game of would you rather. My budget is 40k give or take a few with a minimum HP requirement of 200 HP 4 stroke. Here are the options I've got lined up though I'm certainly open to others. Let's say these are all in excellent condition. All have trailers except the Bennington which is an issue. Thanks.

2010 Harris Grand Mariner 200 Merc 400 hours
2012 Godfrey San Pan 225 Yamaha sho 96 hours
2014 G3 elite 324 225 Yamaha Sho 80 hours
2011 Bennington 250 Yamaha Sho 250 240 hours

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Tritoon hunt

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

I was in a very similar situation 3 years ago, all previous boats were larger cuddy cabins and last one was a 27 foot CC. OPerating in the gulf coast with real everyday weather and often not so nice seas both in the bays and gulf. We started thinking about tritoons when I saw how they performed on the water, handling very sketchy sea states with ease. I thought I could find something in the 20s, then after seeing what was out there and learning a few details like I wouldn't have carpet on the boat if they were giving it away, our budget eased up into the 30s, well anything nice and newer where as you stated I wouldn’t have to work on it all the time, got us into high 30s, then we found our current boat brand new, with everything we wanted and more, no one ever dicked with it, I could take care of it from day one the way I know it has to be cared for, awesome warranty, 5 years on the motor, lifetime deck down, and 5 years on everything else. This for 42k. It was a hell of a gulp, but the wife and I enjoy this boat so much, use it more than any other we have ever owned, this month is 3 yrs owned, I have 350 hours on it. My point is of all those boats you posted, the only one that might be even close to 40k would be the G2 because of the year (2014). The end of the season is approaching, I really think you could be into a new or almost new like a dealer demo, with full warranty for a little more than your 40k budget. I’m not brand promoting, I think almost all of them are good boats, yes there are details in construction to be researched, but for average use and good care by the owner I think their all competitive, Bennington gets the big nod by a lot of folks, but when I owned mono hulls, I would never pay for the name of Grady White, or Boston Whaler either. Look for options that will save you bucks down the road, custom cover to keep the boat nice and won’t cave in when it rains on it, a good trailer, onboard battery charger, dual batts etc.. good luck with your search, I’m sure you will find what your looking for.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Nickoteen

#3 Post by Nickoteen » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks. I hadn't even considered buying new until this point. I figured the larger HP toons would send the price point into the high 50s which is not an option. I'll check with a couple of the local dealers and see what they have.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#4 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 am

Just asking, but why not a 150 HP, that is a pretty standard HP for the tritoons, I asked about bumping to a yamaha 200 on our purchase, they told me about a 4-5K increase and I would probably see 2 more MPH. I feel the 150 on my Berkshire is more than adequate until I start getting 6 or more people onboard, I think other than raw MPH increase, the larger HP helps when the boat starts getting really loaded down, and I don't know what your normal outing consists of, for me its usually the wife and I and maybe one other couple, and I can still maintain mid 30s MPH.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:35 am

All of the above boats you mentioned have low hours considering the motors. So really the layout is what should be your decision point.
However, I would also look at new, they have these things marked WAY up. Mine was list 59 offered for 49 and they still came down below that....

After my buying experience this month....pick a dealer near you, one you like and trust (if possible) rather than boat brand.....I found out the hard way, found the boat I liked and wanted but the dealer......well, not so much.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Nickoteen

#6 Post by Nickoteen » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 am

All the boats I mentioned above have a desirable layout and color scheme. The Harris and Benny are probable the "sleekest" but have higher hours. I want the bigger motor so I have plenty of tow power. I have kids who will be into tubing and wake boarding plus we'll always be have people with us. Not really concerned about top end but it's always nice to have the extra ponies.

steve1313

#7 Post by steve1313 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:18 am

As others have said, pick a dealer you like, then pick a boat. The variables between brands priced in the same general ball park will be minimal, so that dealer relationship becomes important.

As far as pricing goes, my Sweetwater had a list price of just over $53k. I had it out the door for $39,900. I've owned used boats before, but it sure felt good to start with a brand new one!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia