Water in Toon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

QBreen

Water in Toon

#1 Post by QBreen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 am

So I pulled my 93 suntracker the other day and noticed water sloshing around in the very front portion of my toon. I'm not sure how it got there yet, I would like to smoke test it to find where it's getting in. I would like to get the water out first. Any ideas on how to get the water out? Obviously I am probably going to have to do some welding somewhere anyway so I thought about drilling a whole to drain the toon. However if there is a way to remove it without drilling that would be great. I thought about maybe trying to heat it up and evaporate the water. Just would like to see if anyone has messed with this before. The water is trapped in the very front I assume because of baffles. I pulled drain plug and that did nothing except release air pressure which also baffles me because if there was a leak why did toon have pressure build up in it?? Thank you.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Water in Toon

#2 Post by lakerunner » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 am

If yours is like mine there is no way to get it out. I drilled a small hole in bottom of toon, and use ss screw with rubber gasket to ckose hole. Been using this for years. I have no idea how it gets in. I used a shopvac on blow whie Betty sprayed soapy water all around welds and keel strip. Nothing showed up but after every trip it has water
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

OK Toon

#3 Post by OK Toon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:27 am

Do you have access to the top of the logs? There should be threaded drain plugs on top --- you'll just need to get a small enough diameter jiggle-tube to be able to get down in there to siphon the water out. We had a similar issue on our 2-log boat, but ours was taking water in the rear section. Ours turned out to be a crack in the very back bracket that attaches the log to the deck. The crack wasn't under water, but driving the boat across the water in the summer, as the log would heat up from the sun, it would act as a vacuum and suck any water in that splashed up on that part of the boat. I was dumping out about 5 gal of water every few weeks. But after finding a TIG welder, he fixed the cracks on the logs and we haven't had any other issues with water in the logs.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#4 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 am

Last tracker I worked on had water in the tubes, removed the red plastic plugs on the tops of the toons, took a 1/4 inch copper tubing bent to drop in and hit the bottom of the toon, attached clear tubing to that and then used my MITIVAC vacuum hand pump to start the siphon, keeping the pump lower than the toon, once the water starts flowing pop the hand pump off and it will siphon until empty
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

toondog

#5 Post by toondog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:13 pm

i used the siphon method. Then used an aquarium pump to evaporate the rest. Takes a few days though. Works best during hot summer days. Drop an Aquarium tube with an Air Stone or fishing weight to the bottom and let run. You may hear the bubbling. Occasionally drop a weighted string to the bottom and check for moister.
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky