Covering Back Deck

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

STEVEBRENDA

Covering Back Deck

#1 Post by STEVEBRENDA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:48 am

We have a 25.5' Regency. Our slip is 30' - the motor is almost sticking out. Our boat cover covers all the way to the back of the seats. Behind the seats is a 2' walkway, from side to side. This is not covered. I know a lot of pontoons are going to this set up. Is anyone else covering this area? I would like to protect it (and the cables and hoses) from UV damage and rain.
2014 Regency 254
Mercury 250L Verado

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

riplipper

Re: Covering Back Deck

#2 Post by riplipper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:34 am

great question. I have the same delimma. looking forward to some good replys.

I have an older cover from another boat that I may cut and use snaps to cover that area.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

BobL

#3 Post by BobL » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Here is my $0.02, assuming I am reading your post correctly....

Having had a lot of boats and styles of boats (including 3 pontoons), I personally would not be concerned about the last 3-4 feet of the back of the boat. I am anal/OCD when it comes to keeping things looking nice and protecting them. On the other hand, exposed engines/cowlings, flooring, along with controls/cables/hoses on out board motors are meant to be exposed to the elements.

I have a covered lift and also keep a cover on my boat when it is in the lift but the sun and rain still get to it. You cannot control sun angles and blowing rain. They do make full covers that go from the very front and all the way to the engine but these are not snaps (usually tie downs). You also can go with the $10K plus full automated cover.

http://touchlesscover.com/

But even my friends that sprung for the Touchless Cover system bitch about it because birds and critters get under the cover with ease. Protecting from critters require snaps or a very good cinching system built into the cover.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:18 am

BobL pretty much sums it up and I feel the same way.

I'm also in a covered slip but my OB motor is pretty exposed to the elements and certainly gets rained on and "sunned on" during the morning hours. During the winter months when I may go a couple of months or more without taking the boat out, I cover the motor with a cover, but I don't really do anything else.

My biggest gripe is the water spots that will develop on the OB if it rains between visits to the lake. I now keep a bottle of quick detailer and a cloth just inside the back gate. I start to take off the cover from the rear, and as soon as I can open the gate and grab the detailer, I turn around and take 15 seconds to wipe down the motor. That satisfies my OCD enough so I'm not worried about that section of the boat being unprotected.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Strake

#5 Post by Strake » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:37 am

I too didn't like the idea of our boat hanging out of the covered boat slip by a foot or so, plus the engine..... SO I made a homemade skirt that keeps the paint, vinyl decking, hoses, etc from the elements.

I hand sewed the silver ( tarp ) to fit exactly all the way around the back half of the boat. I used Gypsy snaps on it, so the SKIRT snaps onto the factory boat top snaps, then the factory boat cover snaps over top of the skirt. It folds underneath the deck and I put snaps onto each of the frame members so it snaps all the way around both sides, and starts across the stern. Where it goes around the ski tow, I put a slit in it and then 3 pieces of velcro. Over the swim ladder, it's all sewed to fit. Across the stern, it is weighed down by 4 sewed on sand bags. 2 on each side of the engine. That way, I can do this all from the dock finger piers.

I bought a standard Yamaha engine cover but didn't like the idea that it only covered the top, so I took more Sunbrella fabric and sewed it onto the top so it's covered on 3 sides. It's out of the elements for the morning sun, etc. Total cost for both the skirt project, and the engine cover extension was less than $100. SURE wish I owned a sewing machine !!!!!
Strake's extended engine cover.jpg
Strake's extended engine cover.jpg (276.39 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Strake's starboard side skirt.jpg
Strake's starboard side skirt.jpg (190.48 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Strake's Port Side Skirt.jpg
Strake's Port Side Skirt.jpg (203.98 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB

steve1313