New pontoon boat on Squam lake

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bruc

New pontoon boat on Squam lake

#1 Post by bruc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:38 am

Hi,I'm a new member and would like to know if anyone out there has a smaller sizes pontoon boat with a smaller engine than the majority of people it seems that have larger pontoon or tritoons with 115 or larger engines.My wife and I are retired and live in N.H. near Squam lake.We traded our 19' bow rider in last week and bought a brand new Princecraft Jazz 19 with a 50 hp.merc. We don't do much but putt around and enjoy the scenery.Are there any others out there with similar pontoon boat set- ups that could share their experiences with us? We are newbies and appreciate any advice and or stories you may have to share.Also,is there anyone that has any experience with their pontoon boat on Squam lake? Thanks in advance for your input.

boocat

Re: New pontoon boat on Squam lake

#2 Post by boocat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:01 am

Similar? We have an 18ft with a 60. Does well for just the 2 of us. The size works well for two people, we are kinda slow but even if I had gone max hp it would still be slow. About the only consideration as far as speed is concerned is that on our really big Texas lakes we tend to pick a ramp or place to stay closer to the area we want to fish.. Making a run from one end of the lake to the other can take a long time around these parts.

baysidejoe

#3 Post by baysidejoe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:14 am

We have about the same. 20 foot Avalon with 50 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. We are on a bay off Lake Ontario. The boat works well for us and having three grand kid it worked perfect for them being able to walk around the boat and fish on a stable platform. I think you will enjoy your new toon very nicely.. Enjoy
Boating is better then working....
Fair Haven New York
LS20 Avalon 50 hp Yamaha four stroke

boocat

#4 Post by boocat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:36 am

WELL CRAP, I just typed out a 15 minute opinion on fuel and forgot to hit submit,, crap

bruc

#5 Post by bruc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for your input.It's gonna be a looong winter for us I'm afraid.Thanks again.

Coldbrew

#6 Post by Coldbrew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:40 am

Welcome to the "Toon" life and to the forum from a fellow New Hampshire boater. I've never been on Squam, but I hear it's a beautiful lake. We, (along with a lot of forum members) also went the bow rider to pontoon route. You're going to love the extra room and the comfort compared to the bow rider. So get yourself a grill, pack up a cooler and enjoy!
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 pm

We have a 20 footer with a 75 hp 4 stroke yamaha. works great for us. wide open we'll see low 20's, but I hardly ever run it that hard... that thing just sips gas... I filled up the 24 gal. tank at the beginning of the season.. probably took the boat out 7 or 8 times during the summer and still have 3/4 of a tank left... true we didnt travel very far each time out... but that is still good gas mileage...
on my 20 footer we can easily seat 6 people with room to spare... once I get 8 on board it starts getting a little cramped... but from 2 to six people is very pleasant.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana