Pull you fenders in!!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

steve1313

Pull you fenders in!!

#1 Post by steve1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:32 am

On my lake, it seems like more pontooners leave their fenders hanging than other types of boaters. It drives me crazy. To me it's a rookie mistake and looks really tacky. The only thing worse is leaving the boarding ladder down while cruising!

So for those of you who disagree with me and leave your fenders hanging all the time, I'd be curious to know why??
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

riplipper

Re: Pull you fenders in!!

#2 Post by riplipper » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:09 am

You might want to send this post to your therapist and get his input....

As long as nobody bothers me, or puts me in danger, I could not GAFRA what their boat looks like
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Oldchuck

#3 Post by Oldchuck » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:22 am

Steve,
I hear you however I think you will find that in the pontoon community fenders bouncing around over the gunwale will not bother folks the way it would in a marina filled with CC's like Regulators or Yellowfins. Many pontoon owners did not grow up on vessels or cruising open water where many behaviors can cause vessel or personal damage. On a pontoon, fenders hanging out tends to do no damage, they are always ready to be deployed and do not have to be stowed. Hey, there was a time when I would obsess about someone who did not put a wire on their anchor shackle to secure it. However, on a pontoon that is used usually on a calm lake I say enjoy your vessel and let folks treat theirs how they want as it will make your boating experiences much more enjoyable...
It may look tacky and the fenders will tend to have that mildew look but if someone wants to enjoy their boat that way I say live and let live as life is too short to obsess over things especially while boating.

smltooner

#4 Post by smltooner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 pm

steve1313 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:32 am
On my lake, it seems like more pontooners leave their fenders hanging than other types of boaters. It drives me crazy. To me it's a rookie mistake and looks really tacky. The only thing worse is leaving the boarding ladder down while cruising!

So for those of you who disagree with me and leave your fenders hanging all the time, I'd be curious to know why??
Steve1313 - While I agree with you that fenders bouncing against the side of a boat while underway looks tacky, I also agree with riplipper and Oldchuck, live and let live.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

Marc K

#5 Post by Marc K » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:13 am

I'm 65 and have been boating since my teens, both offshore and lakes Mohave,Mead and Powell. I do have very specific habits and rules that have served me well, so I will keep doing things my way. Those of you who have spent years on the water know that you see some weird stuff happen.......

For example, I NEVER start my motor before putting an eyeball on the prop - but I see lots of people do it "because it's in neutral." I always pull the kill switch when kids are onboard, etc.

I speak up about other boaters when it directly impacts me/us, like coming at me at night with big docking lights blazing. The exception is that if I see a catastrophe coming, I will of course act - and I have done so more than once.

I'm a "live and let live" kind of guy, but MY boat = My rules. But My rules don't count in another person's boat.

Respectfully,
Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115