Toon covers

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Night Train 3

Toon covers

#1 Post by Night Train 3 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:57 am

I’m in the market for a full cover but I can’t trust the online reviews.
I don’t care about price but I’m looking for the best quality.

I’d like something waterproof, good for trailering and won’t damage the interior. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
2018 StarCraft SLS3
Yamaha SHO 250

BobL

Re: Toon covers

#2 Post by BobL » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 am

I cant give advice on where to buy, as all my covers have come with the boats I have had. Based on a lot of experience with a lot of boats and lots of covers, I will pass along some info on my experiences....

A - Personally, I would not tow with a cover on even if the cover was designed for towing.

B - I would look for a Sunbrella (or similar) material. I have had some crappy OEM covers that didn't breathe well and I was constantly fighting mildew.

C - It sounds strange, but the darker the color the better as dark colors tend to work better for UV protection.

D - I have snaps on mine but will likely go the shock cord route next time.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

curtiscapk

#3 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:39 am

love my ps cover....
I have other pics in my more recent posts. Here is my first one on the cover.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25413
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

riplipper

#4 Post by riplipper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 am

Agree, trailering while covered greatly reduces the life of the cover....
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:19 pm

you might want to contact your boat manufacturer and see if they can sell you a custom playpen cover for your particular boat... If not you can find local trim shops... I had a guy price a custom cover for my boat a few years back after I had misplaced my original custom cover... trim shop was going to use sumbrella and I believe the quote was around 1400 bucks or so.. Fortunetly my son remembered he had put my original custom cover up in our attic so I ended up not needing to replace it... still though, a local trim shop should be able to help you out, but it probably won't be cheap.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

jeffh129

#6 Post by jeffh129 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:19 pm

A custom cover is the way to go. They will uae quality material and insure a good fit. Ask your local boat dealer who the local guy is, he’ll know.

Liquid Asset

#7 Post by Liquid Asset » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 pm

If you're willing to spend the money for a good cover get one made. Even the OEM covers are fit to the boat while it's there. Any canvas shop can make you a good cover that fits like a glove. You can talk to them about how you plan to use it . I know my brother had a bunch made for his powerquest and never tows with it up. It just costs too much to get beat up going down the road.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

riplipper

#8 Post by riplipper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:38 am

I guess I will go against the grain.
I have had custom covers for every boat I have owned. Usually made of Sunbrella or something similar.
However, when I got my new toon with the OEM cover....WOW, fit was awesome and it weighs less than half of any custom cover I ever had.
Mine is less than a year old, so I do not know how long it will last, but so far I am very pleased.....
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

guy48065

#9 Post by guy48065 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am

Before spending $1400 on a custom playpen cover I would suggest looking up seller "canvasguy2077" on eBay--Andy. This is formerly American Canvas Products, Inc. that made OEM covers for several boat mfrs. for a couple decades.
Andy can send you a diagram where you fill in all the important dimensions, pick a fabric, and save half or more.

My used boat came with a miserable universal cover that flapped in the wind & allowed water to pool in the corners. I don't have any trim, canvas, awning, etc. shops anywhere within 100 miles of my lake so I looked online. My custom cover doesn't have these issues, and it looks OEM. Nevertheless there are things in hindsight I would do differently in specifying a cover:
* For my 18' 'toon the cover has 2 poles. I would request at least 3 even for such a short playpen.
* I went with the standard coated polyester fabric ("Navigator") because I didn't want to risk extra $$ for high-end fabric. Now that I know the cover is made well and fits right I would ask for Sunbrella or equivalent (there are many).
* I don't have an answer for rain running in thru the bimini frame cutouts--but maybe Andy knows a way to divert the small amount that sneaks in around the flaps.
* Tight fit = finger fatigue on all those snaps (which came in a bag for me to install--as per my wishes). I would consider shock-cord sewn in the hem, if available and not crazy expensive.
Attachments
BoatCover_r.jpg
BoatCover_r.jpg (395.1 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI