Entry Level TriToons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Oldchuck

Re: Entry Level TriToons

#16 Post by Oldchuck » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:06 am

Steve,
My PA is completely silent and I have never hear it. I know what you are referring to with a PS unit in a car car emitting sound but mine with my 150 Yamaha is completely silent...I guess they could vary from brand to brand but what from what I have experienced they all are a dream to drive. I know it is expensive but something I would not do without on my 150 as I have experienced the torque steer you did on other boats.. To me, with a toon, it is about making the ride as pleasant as possible or I would keep my 22' CC....

Marc K

#17 Post by Marc K » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank you for the education!
Outboards are new to me. I spent a lot of time off the West Coast in single/twin I/O's or old V drives. I've only had my pontoon boat for about a year.
My little 115hp is a one handed operation thing at any speed, so I wasn't getting it. I do appreciate the information.

This is an example of why I like this place: Good answers without casting dispersion's of stupidity.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

steve1313

#18 Post by steve1313 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:29 am

Oldchuck wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:06 am
Steve,
My PA is completely silent and I have never hear it. I know what you are referring to with a PS unit in a car car emitting sound but mine with my 150 Yamaha is completely silent...I guess they could vary from brand to brand but what from what I have experienced they all are a dream to drive. I know it is expensive but something I would not do without on my 150 as I have experienced the torque steer you did on other boats.. To me, with a toon, it is about making the ride as pleasant as possible or I would keep my 22' CC....
Oldchuck-
That's interesting. Even before I got my boat and was debating the PA, I was told by two different dealers that they are noisy. Where is your PA pump mounted? MInes in the helm console, so it's right in front of me, which may be why I hear it. I've seen it under one of the rear seats on other boats.

The noise isn't terrible, I just know it's there when I'm docking, etc.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Oldchuck

#19 Post by Oldchuck » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:45 am

Steve,
Mine is also under the helm where I have my batteries and on board charger but neither of those would cancel out the noise..
Perhaps I am just lucky. In any case, we both like or PA...

Hope your weather is still good there. We were 83 yesterday but may cool down to the 60's for a couple of days...

cbl1

#20 Post by cbl1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 am

I purchased my Avalon last year and I have to say I have been very impressed with its quality. Avalon/Tahoe sits as an upper mid-range manufacturer that seems to have improved its game over the last few years (their pontoon run to Cuba was great publicity too).

I got the Catalina model but they have models that are lower in price. I purchased a 225 4-stroke Mercury Motor (actually still waiting for it to deliver) so my dealer last spring put a loaner 200hp 2-stroke mercury on it.

The 200hp really pushed the 25' Avalon well. Look forward to the 225hp giving a touch extra. But I definitely made the right engine decision (the dealer had it coming originally with a 150hp).

I debated the power steering thing back and forth dozens of times and did a lot of research on the forum. Many people around said definitely get and others (including my dealer) said they aren't really needed at that HP and noisy...there are a lot of YouTube videos on Power Assist noise. My boat came with the hydraulic steering (not to be confused with the Power Assist which is another unit that hooks into the hydraulic assist). Since researching online - I found that going from the hydraulic steering to the power assist as a fairly simple upgrade that could be done later (not costing any more than having done originally). So I decided - just wait on the Power Assist and if I felt I needed it I would add it later.

The verdict - after a summer on the lake with my Avalon ...... I don't see any need for the Power assist. At the 200-225hp range on my Avalon 25' it steers with very little effort. No it isn't soft steering that you can control with one finger. But it certainly steers easily with little effort one handed. So I would recommend you do the same DEFINATELY ABSOLUTELY GET HYRDAULIC STEERING. But hold off on adding Power Assist to the Hydraulic. Added later if you really feel you need it.

TexasTooner

#21 Post by TexasTooner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:02 am

I went from a Merc 115HP 4S with cable steering to a 175HP 4S Zuki with hydraulic steering and added a steering ball so I can use one hand to steer the boat, knuckle to knuckle.
Captain StarLord of the vessel Stargazer
Crest 25’ Tri-toon
Suzuki 175 4-Stroke
F150 Platinum 4x4
Boerne Texas