Gps/fish finder install

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bruc

Gps/fish finder install

#1 Post by bruc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:26 am

I'm planning on installing a gps/fishfinder combo on my pontoon boat.What is the best way to route the power cable from the battery under the seat at the aft port side to the helm on the starboard side? I bought the boat new this fall and the dealer is storing it for me for the winter so I don't have access to it now,but I'm trying to prepare ahead of time by trying to get things straightened out in my head so I'll have a good idea of what to do.I plan on picking up a unit for xmass.Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Marc K

Re: Gps/fish finder install

#2 Post by Marc K » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 pm

My sonar depth/fish finder doesn't draw enough power to warrant running a new power cable. It is a lower end Hummingbird unit that draws 300 or 400 ma (0.3 to 0.4 amps) and even the higher end units are often in the 2.5 to 3 amp range. Check the specs on yours - it could be radically different and require a dedicated line like my stereo power amp.

I simply grabbed a spare panel "Accessory" switch and tagged onto the output side. That particular circuit has a 10 amp push button breaker on the panel, so I installed a small inline fuse, per Hummingbird's owners manual.

Again, your setup may be very different, but my boat came with a #10 from the main fuse at the battery to the helm console panel. FWIW, I could not see a meaningful voltage drop after I fired it up with everything else running.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#3 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 am

Marc is correct, just grab a hot wire in your helm (either "Hot Key On" or "Hot Always") your choice. my only advice is use a waterproof fuse holder, the inline ones that the old glass fuses go in and twist to lock can become problem areas down the road after some time. http://www.genuinedealz.com/atm-fuse-inline-holder
Attachments
WATERPROOF FUSE HOLDER.jpg
WATERPROOF FUSE HOLDER.jpg (4.43 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

riplipper

#4 Post by riplipper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:53 am

I just installed one and attached mine to spare spot on the breaker panel and put a three amp fuse on it.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.