What to use of outboard quits

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Oldchuck

Re: What to use of outboard quits

#16 Post by Oldchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 am

guy,
I completely agree. My 10,000 acre lake is fairly rural over 95% of the shoreline and living in central Florida it is swamp sometimes 100+ yards from any walking surface not to mention numerous gators and other critters. Some folks have not boated in rural areas but once you do you try not to take any more chances than necessary...

lemans81

#17 Post by lemans81 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am

I know my plan is to play survivorman......because Bull Shoals has cell service only on about 30% of the lake, and less than that for houses. We don't usually go more than 30 minutes away from home, for that reason. We do have paddles and a large metal rod(like 12-14 foot long) so we could help push it along. Sadly traffic and such on Bull Shoals during the week is almost none. Just have to wait for help, when we didn't show up at sundown at the cabin someone would call for help, but I honestly expect that we would be out for a least one night, so we always take extra snacks and water.
24' Sweetwater w/tritoon, 4in strakes, 70% underskinned, 150HP HPDI Yamaha 2stroke.

“It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”
-Mark Twain

Seafarer

#18 Post by Seafarer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:44 pm

After having cruised the east coast, gulf coast and Bahamas on a variety of sailboats and single engine trawlers, I can honestly say do not take chances. Have a viable get home plan.

If you do not have a get home motor and even if you do it is imperative to have adequate ground tackle. Different anchors work better in certain types of bottom. Find out which type of anchor works best in your area. I always carried a CQR or Spade plow as a main anchor. I have been in areas where a plow would not dig in but a Danforth would hold tight. Luckily I always carried different style anchors so had some choice of one wouldn't work.

In the salt marshes in coastal Georgia the distances are too great for using a trolling motor. 13 ft gators are not uncommon in this area so getting to shore and walking is not a good plan.

I am in the process of refitting a 24ft pontoon to explore the tidal river that we live on. A kicker is at the top of my list of upgrades. I would be interested in how others have mounted an auxiliary motor on their pontoon.

Gary