Bimini Top position while trailering

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Spara6995

Bimini Top position while trailering

#1 Post by Spara6995 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:07 am

I was just wondering what is the correct position to have my top stored while trailering. I have a Sweetwater 2286 TT. The way I keep it now is the short arm is in the rear mount and the long center arm is in the center mount and everything else is folded onto their regular position. Is this the correct position? It will not lay flat. The reason for the question, while trailering it there seems to be some swaying issues with the top. I guess that is normal if this is the correct position. Any ideas or suggestions?

riplipper

Re: Bimini Top position while trailering

#2 Post by riplipper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am

Great question. I use the short arm as well but it does sway some. I am thinking about trying some pipe insulation around the tube and laying it flat as possible when going long distances.
Cant really remove it as it does not fit anywhere. Unless someone has done it and strapped it in so it does not blow out???? Guess that is possible.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 am

I trailer mine the same way, on the short arm, with the actual bimini top folded up and zipped away in the boot. Been doing it this way since I bought the boat 9 or 10 years ago... no issues yet.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:40 am

My boat never gets trailered, but the one time it was (during delivery), this is where the bimini was.
trailer.JPG
trailer.JPG (63.87 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

guy48065

#5 Post by guy48065 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:20 am

If you pull the pin on the rear arm will your bimini frame lay flat on the back fence? My Sweetwater does--but overhangs about a foot. The bimini might be dealer-installed so YMMV.

For winter storage I disconnect the short rear strut & swing the frame over the front half of the boat. The wires at the pivot are long enough to allow that.
If traveling with it folded forward I would strap it down so air doesn't get under it & flip it back.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Bamby

#6 Post by Bamby » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am

guy48065 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:20 am

For winter storage I disconnect the short rear strut & swing the frame over the front half of the boat. The wires at the pivot are long enough to allow that.
If traveling with it folded forward I would strap it down so air doesn't get under it & flip it back.
To store it a person is far away wiser to remove the top and carefully fold it and store it safely somewhere where rodents can't get to it. Same with change room enclusure. Rodents love to make nests in the material and can tea totally destroy it over the winter.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

riplipper

#7 Post by riplipper » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 am

I am going to try laying mine flat with a large pool noodle wrapped around the frame and see how that fits. I sometimes trailer 100-300 miles so even on the short arm that is a lot of stress I would think??
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Spara6995

#8 Post by Spara6995 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:29 am

Thanks guys, Steve that's the way mine was delivered and that's how I trailer it. I have started using a bungee cord around the top to the ski bar and that does help with some of the swaying.