Repower

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jpmathers

Repower

#1 Post by jpmathers » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 pm

I am looking to repower my 2015 Lowe 214, looking for a Mercury 90 hp 4 stroke has a 9.9 right now, the previous owner lived on a limit lake. Thought I had found some decent deals at Blackbird motors until the reviews started. Has anyone had good/bad experience with them or know of a reputable place that sells used/remanufactured mercury's within 200/300 miles of Columbus OH all the dealers around here have nothing. I want to stay with mercury so I can keep my mercury 9.9 for a kicker. Thanks for any help.

rbtnt

Re: Repower

#2 Post by rbtnt » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 pm

RE - Blackbird in PA. I traded in to them a blown up 2003 Mercury 200 EFI on a 2009 rebuilt Mercury Optimax about two and a half years ago. It was a great experience. The rebuild motor has been excellent except for a bad o-ring in the trim pump which they did not rebuild nor did I expect them to. I wanted to keep my lower unit and they put it on the rebuilt motor. I dropped my boat off about 9:00 in the morning and went sightseeing in Pittsburgh and they called me about 1:00 and said it was ready to go. I picked it up and headed home after they ran it for me and I saw that all the gauges worked. They reset the motor to run the normal Mercury break end period which I think was 10 hours of running extra oil. My trim gauge was analog and the rebuilt motor had a digital trim sendor, they put an analog trim sendor on the rebuilt motor at no charge. They reconnected and tested all the gauges; trim, water pressure, volts, smartcraft tach and smartcraft GPS speedo. I have about 100 hours on the rebuilt motor without any engine trouble.

I had a friend that bought a rebuilt Mercury 250 Pro XS from them about 3 years ago and had it shipped to him. He did not have to pay sales tax because it was shipped out of state. He has not had any trouble with his 250.

If you are interested, I have a friend in Zanesville, OH who took off a 4 stroke 90 Yamaha last fall to repower after he bent the prop shaft on the lower unit. I think it's around 6 years old. He put a brand new lower unit on it. I can check to see if he still has it if you would be interested in 4 stroke 90 Yamaha with a new lower unit. I read that you can reuse Mercury controls on a Yamaha with a little work and matching up the wires.

Let me know if you are interested in the Yamaha and I will check on it.

btw - I live in the Columbus, OH area as well.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

jpmathers

Re: Repower

#3 Post by jpmathers » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:21 am

I've done some reading on that, it sounds like a pain so I'll stay with Mercury. Thanks for the input on Blackbird, maybe I'll take a drive over there.