Toon is too long for my dock...awning???

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ksks

Toon is too long for my dock...awning???

#1 Post by ksks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am

My dock has an 18 foot well with a roof. The well is 20 foot wide.

My soon to be toon will stick out about 4 feet.

I'm concerned about sun and weather, but also fishermen casting onto the cover.

Anyone familiar with some type of retractible awning (or something) that can be lowered from the roof, back over the boat and to the water?

Wind will obviously be an issue.

Or, should I just throw a thick canvas over the back?

ksks
2019 Harris 210 with 150 hp Merc

riplipper

Re: Toon is too long for my dock...awning???

#2 Post by riplipper » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 am

If you can find a canvas shop nearby, possibly buy a remnant, and put a couple of eyes in it for tying it down or snaps. Wont be pretty, but should be functional.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

BobL

#3 Post by BobL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 pm

ksks wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am
Anyone familiar with some type of retractible awning (or something) that can be lowered from the roof, back over the boat and to the water?
Once you get a quote from Touchless Cover, you will opt to extend your current cover or do nothing. But since you asked, here is a link:

http://touchlesscover.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ ... gLfsvD_BwE

My cover does not extend and cover the rear deck/motor. My motor sits is slightly under the eve my boat house but with the angle of the sun and any type of blowing rain, it still gets wet and sun exposure. Also, even if you buy the Touchless cover, extend your current cover, get an engine cover, or do nothing, the fishermen are still going to snag it.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

ksks

#4 Post by ksks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 pm

I like the idea of the touchless, but doubt I would like the price tag. Also, they would not keep out the mud daubers we have here.

I'm thinking the canvas may be the best benefit.

Thanks.
Last edited by ksks on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldchuck

#5 Post by Oldchuck » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:00 pm

I got a Touchless cover last year and love it. It keeps rain and dust off my boat and lets moisture out as well. Just push a button and the cover is up and push it again and it comes down. No mess or fuss. It has only Two draw backs: 1) Price around 7 grand for my 22' and 2) spiders love it as it gives them a great hiding place and have spider droppings on my boat at times. I live in Central Florida so we do have a boat load of bugs...I leave sheets over instruments to deal with the droppings but can not do anything about the price...However, one of the best buys I have made but again, NOT Cheap...

ksks

#6 Post by ksks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Ouch, that is expensive.

I contacted a local cover maker and a billboard company. Both have used or surplus they are willing to sell or give away (billboard vinyl).

I think I'll just put the cover on then cover it with one of those vinyls over that.

Should have my new boat in 4-5 weeks! That will be about the time we can get back out on the water, on the warmer days.

Thanks.

Oldchuck

#7 Post by Oldchuck » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:29 am

I am sure you can extend your covered protection much cheaper than a Touchless. The Touchless will do the job even if it is a stand alone without any current roof over it however, they are NOT cheap. The main advantage of a Touchless is the convenience of just pressing a button on the fob and raising or lowering the cover and its tailored to your vessel and dock. IT saves a lot of effort in trying to keep your boat covered and secure from debris, water, critters etc BUT you pay for that convenience. Being older I just got tired fighting tarps to try to keep the boat pristine and wanted to simplify my efforts..There are other covers made in the midwest that are manual and a bit cheaper than the Touchless but I still believe you could extend your cover much cheaper if you do not need your boat completely inside a secure cover....

bansil

#8 Post by bansil » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:50 pm

You got a picture? I have a few ideas
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

ksks

#9 Post by ksks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:30 pm

No pic. Don’t have the pontoon yet. The dock has 18 foot fingers and is 20 feet wide.

bansil

#10 Post by bansil » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Post a pic when you get it and will give you ideas

OK Toon

#11 Post by OK Toon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 am

I have a similar situation with our dock. The slip is 10' wide and only 24' long. So that back part of the boat and the motor, are extending out beyond the dock roof. I contact the Corps to see about extending our slip so the entire boat could be inside the slip and we can close the overhead garage door for that slip (right now, the door is kept in the raised position). I was told we can not change the footprint of our dock (basically, the frame), or we would lose our grandfather of our dock (new rules for distance between docks and distance to boat ramp -- both distances, we are currently less than the new rules).

So what I was thinking about was welding some angle iron to make a frame to put more corrugated metal on to make an extended roof. The extension would have to pretty flat so it doesn't drop much lower than the current opening to the slip. From what I've been told, this sort of modification should not kill us being grandfathered currently.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

bansil

#12 Post by bansil » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:27 pm

1 suggestions that would work may be to contact a local awning company tha does alum frame and fabric 1/4 circle window and door covers.
They are light and stand up to the weather, it can be mounted even with hinges on top or 4 or 5 quick disconnects to take of and on.

Google industrial window awnings

ksks

#13 Post by ksks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks guys...

KSKS