Engine winterizing

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

martys

Engine winterizing

#1 Post by martys » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a question about engine winterizing. My good friend is battling liver cancer. His boat & engine (Mercruiser V8, 350, Alpha II drive) has been winterize since the fall of 2017. It stayed winterized the entire 2018 season and winter. Unfortunately, because of extended treatment, he will miss this summer's season. Should he start the motor this summer (on the trailer) and then winterize again or just let it go until spring of 2020?
Here in Maryland, you must winterized.

Thanks in advance.
Premier 22.5 Legend Triple
150 E-Tec
Baltimore, Maryland

luckydogs

Re: Engine winterizing

#2 Post by luckydogs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm

You should start the engine during the summer time and not just 1 time but throw out the summer, the engine needs to be lubricated pistons needs to move pulleys need turning and so-on, there’s nothing worst on an engine then not being used
Best of luck for your friend hope he gets better

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:33 am

I'm not a boat mechanic by any means but what luckydogs says makes sense.. start it, run it... and if possible do it several times thru out the season. I use a mechanic that services boat engines at his shop behind his home and he has told me on more than once that the worst thing you can do to your boat motor is not run it.... on a another note, sorry to hear about your friends medical issues. Hopefully his doctors can help him beat that... Will remember him at mass next sunday.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 am

There's a potential issue that needs to be considered...… Fuel. If the fuel that's been sitting in the tank contains ethanol, there is a high likelihood that the fuel is bad and running it through the engine could create more problems. If the tank isn't completely full or almost empty, the chances for condensation and fuel breakdown are even higher. If he's got fuel with ethanol in the tank, I might just leave everything alone until it's time to bring the boat out of hibernation in the spring of 2020. If it was properly winterized, (engine fogged, etc) letting it sit for another year might be the lesser of two evils.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic either, and I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Oldchuck

#5 Post by Oldchuck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 am

Steve speaks the truth. One of the worst things you can do is let ethanol fuel sit in a tank. It sucks in moisture like a sponge. It can ruin injectors and easily fill a fuel filter. If it has been there awhile and you need to run the engine, do change every fuel filter on the engine and boat prior to starting. Also, look for any sign the the engine in not running well and if so shut down. IF it has been sitting for over a year it may be prudent to drain the fuel tank and fuel system. Non ethanol fuel is worth every penny as you never know how long a boat could be sitting. It is a pain but I transport non ethanol fuel to my boat and use a jiggler siphon to fill the boat tank. I have seen too many horror stories with ethanol fuel in modern motors with complicated fuel systems...Ask any marine mechanic what causes most of his issues and I will bet he will say without hesitation "ethanol fuel"...
Very sorry to hear about your friend and hope he beats this thing...

boocat

#6 Post by boocat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:47 am

I don't particularly "winterize" but what I did do at the end of last season was pump the tank because of a previous fuel problem as mentioned above . I also disconnected my fuel supply line between tank and bulb and stuck the end of the line in a can of "truefuel" and ran that through the engine hoping to avoid the related ethanol problems. Also found a source of ethanol free gas.

Marc K

#7 Post by Marc K » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 am

To me, it all depends upon exactly what was done to winterize it and whether it is injected, TBI or conventional carb'd.

If the fuel was properly drained, flushed and emptied, my vote is to let it wait. Some folks prefer to kill the ignition, but crank it several times - long enough to pump oil through the galleys.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

BobL

#8 Post by BobL » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am

Marc K wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 am
To me, it all depends upon exactly what was done to winterize it and whether it is injected, TBI or conventional carb'd.

If the fuel was properly drained, flushed and emptied, my vote is to let it wait. Some folks prefer to kill the ignition, but crank it several times - long enough to pump oil through the galleys.

Marc
^^^This.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

martys

#9 Post by martys » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 am

Thanks again every one for the input. Fuel is going to be the big issue. I agree we should drain the tank and system. I'll post updates, this will be my first time draining an entire tank (around 60 gallons.)
Premier 22.5 Legend Triple
150 E-Tec
Baltimore, Maryland