Need a pontoon repair guy in SW FL

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tcpip95

Need a pontoon repair guy in SW FL

#1 Post by tcpip95 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:23 pm

Pontoon has a pinhole leak somewhere. It apparently is so small that it’s not showing up on a pressure test. Had the boat in the water all day yesterday. Took it back to the storage lot and noticed an unusual amount of water coming off one of the toons. Went back this morning to check and sure enough there was a small puddle of saltwater.

I had a repair done to this pontoon earlier this year. We’ve Inspected the repair site and it’s definitely not coming from there. The guy that did the repair is a great aluminum fabricator; he’s just not a boat guy, so when he pressure tested it, he may not know where to look on a pontoon.

The dealership wants $300 just to pressure test the single pontoon. Then the meter starts running on the repair.

Any recommendation on someone who is good with pontoons but won’t skin me alive on the price? Thanks.
2012 Bennington 24 SSL
150 HP Yamaha
.45 1911 Security System

Liquid Asset

Re: Need a pontoon repair guy in SW FL

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:29 pm

I see your boat in your signature. Doesn't Bennington have a " lifetime" warranty on the Hull? Something doesn't seem right to me if you're having several issues with leaks.

It's easy to pressure test on your own. A trip to the local hardware store and they can have you hooked up easily. Most important thing is to remember it's a low pressure test. You'll need to get a low pressure tire guage" atv guage works" . You just need a couple psi and a spray bottle with soap water mix. Look for bubbles!!!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

tcpip95

#3 Post by tcpip95 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Liquid Asset wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:29 pm
I see your boat in your signature. Doesn't Bennington have a " lifetime" warranty on the Hull? Something doesn't seem right to me if you're having several issues with leaks.

It's easy to pressure test on your own. A trip to the local hardware store and they can have you hooked up easily. Most important thing is to remember it's a low pressure test. You'll need to get a low pressure tire guage" atv guage works" . You just need a couple psi and a spray bottle with soap water mix. Look for bubbles!!!
Not in this case, no. I did the damage (not a warranty issue) so it’s on me.
2012 Bennington 24 SSL
150 HP Yamaha
.45 1911 Security System

Liquid Asset

#4 Post by Liquid Asset » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Ok that makes sense to me. However it's still easy to check for leaks on your own. That price you listed for the dealer to pressure test is really high to me. When building my old boat we tested anytime we welded on it , building the transom/ adding lifting strakes.

You mentioned a pin hole in your first post. I had a friend take delivery of a brand new tracker pontoon with just the same issue. Noticed a slow drip drip drip out of the nose cone when tying it down at the launch after the madin voyage. It turned out to be from where the welding rod left the "puddle" after welding the seam. Looks like a dimple at the end of a long weld. That's an easy fix for any competent welder . It may be something similar on your boat.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

zoom650

#5 Post by zoom650 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:36 am

My local marina and the local Bass Pro Shop referred me to the best sheet metal and welding shop in town. They both said that's where they job out that kind of work. Maybe follow that avenue and see what you can find.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.