Tritoon Trailer needed

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

champlaintritooner

Tritoon Trailer needed

#1 Post by champlaintritooner » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:22 am

Hi, I am new to this forum and boating in general. We just purchased a 24ft Crest tritoon and need a trailer. I am looking to get an idea on what type of trailer would be best and also what brands to compare. Need a good quality trailer but also inexpensive. The trailer does not need to be used much, however beginning and end of every season will be a 400 miles trip back home. But other than that the trailer will not be used and sitting outside all summer. Basically need something to last each 400 mile trip yet will only use it twice a year so not trying to break the bank for something I won't use much. I am in both the NJ area and Lake Champlain region so if anyone knows any inexpensive dealers in that area it would be much appreciated. THANK YOU!

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Tritoon Trailer needed

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 am

This is usually not a realistic sentence "good quality trailer but also inexpensive" in any market, especially boating, however I get your drift. If your not putting in Salt Water, then a painted steel trailer will suffice for your needs, (painted steel is much cheaper than aluminum or galvanized), tandem axle at least 13" wheels which will handle the highway speeds better than the smaller wheels. If you buy something in good shape now, you'll spend less down the road. Keep your tires covered and if possible remove them and store them indoors in the garage or similar during the time when not in use, the tires will last longer, just put the back of the trailer on jack stands for the season.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Liquid Asset

#3 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:16 pm

As mentioned already, good and cheap don't really go together in boat trailers. That said you can get a cheap"roughly" $3k trailer that will work just fine. However you're going 400 miles one way. That's a lot different than pulling out of the water and parking it. Your tow vehicle also matters on the trailer. An SUV and you definitely need brakes, f-350 not so much. It's really a case by case situation. Whatever trailer you choose you'll be glad to have a better one (for peace of mind) on that trip!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

champlaintritooner

#4 Post by champlaintritooner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:09 am

Thanks for the help. And yea I knew saying “inexpensive and good quality” never mix. Just hoping to show that I’m looking for something that will do the job but don’t need all the extras lol. Any specific brands that you would recommend looking at or stay away from? Also I have a 5.7L 1500 to tow the boat. It’ll get the job done.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#5 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 am

Speaking on Brakes, in some states brakes on the trailer axle/s are required, FL is 3500 GVW LBS and up. Are they a PIA? Yes, but in an accident you might be glad you could show you have them if state required? That's just food for thought. Secondly, it doesn't matter if your towing the boat with a mazda PU or 3500 HD, the brakes are there to prevent the boat from jack-knifing and coming around on you in a hard stopping situation, yes, a 3500 wont feel the weight of the boat in normal stopping situations, but if you had to lock-em up that boat is NOT going to track straight behind the tow vehicle, its coming around one side or the other if there are no brakes on the trailer.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Liquid Asset

#6 Post by Liquid Asset » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 am

You are correct brakes have a purpose that cannot be over looked. That said mass matters. When the tow vehicle weighs much more than what I'd being towed it effects every aspect of towing, not just stopping.

As far as brakes not working properly that's an equipment maintenance /set up issue. I run a landscape business and we are required to have all our equipment in proper working order. We get pulled over just for " safety inspections" , at least that's what they call them lol
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !