Yamaha Prop Shaft replacement?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Aluminum Maiden

Yamaha Prop Shaft replacement?

#1 Post by Aluminum Maiden » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am

I have to take in my lower end very soon to have the skeg replaced, however replacing the prop shaft will be much longer and the price range has a wild range. I've seen new prop shafts for around 150$ and consider myself fairly well inclined. However I have not done this before, nor have I removed the prop yet to see if this is pressed in or pressed in+ bolted in?

Could anyone here that has done this procedure offer some drawings, videos or advice? I'd really appreciate it as I am starting the year off in a bind! :gay
The motor is a 2006 Yamaha T60 with the large lower gear case to get this fat hen of a boat moving. :drink
I went drifting through capitols of tin
where men can't walk or freely talk
and sons turn their fathers in.

2008 Palm Beach Castmaster 200 Yamaha T60 18 mph upriver 22 mph downriver
2019 F150 EcoBeast 3.5 Supercrew 4x4 Max tow, Truetrac . Mods' a plenty

riplipper

Re: Yamaha Prop Shaft replacement?

#2 Post by riplipper » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:37 pm

You might try U tube and also maybe post on the Hull Truth. Lots of knowledge there.....with a few idiots thrown in as well.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Aluminum Maiden

Re: Yamaha Prop Shaft replacement?

#3 Post by Aluminum Maiden » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:33 pm

After viewing some videos and doing some research I chose to take care of it myself without disassembly. I clamped a dial indicator to the anti-cavitation plate and checked the run out (.055) and marked it. I then attached a big piece of steel pipe and stood on it and got to work. It took hours and careful experimentation but I eventually got it down to .002. So we're good to go and I'm very happy with this stroke of luck. I realize that this or other mechanical mishaps will eventually happen again and that a shop manual is in order. Apparently there are a lot of repair shops that use similar methods for many years.
I went drifting through capitols of tin
where men can't walk or freely talk
and sons turn their fathers in.

2008 Palm Beach Castmaster 200 Yamaha T60 18 mph upriver 22 mph downriver
2019 F150 EcoBeast 3.5 Supercrew 4x4 Max tow, Truetrac . Mods' a plenty