Add a battery

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Aluminum Maiden

Add a battery

#1 Post by Aluminum Maiden » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Whats up dudes. I have been needing to add a house to this thing forever. Many times anchored enjoyment has been hampered with the ability to restart. That said, I've been looking at one of those automatic switchers like the Blue Seas 7650 for adding another battery.

Here's my dilemma, I have limited space in the transom area for another battery. I have an idea to constuct a bracket to add another back there but really don't like the idea of running the switcher system in the back. Reason being is that I want the controls up front (about knee level in the helm) and may add a trolling motor battery under the helm.

So I guess what I'm looking for is ideas/advice on the best way to do this.
I went drifting through capitols of tin
where men can't walk or freely talk
and sons turn their fathers in.

2008 Palm Beach Castmaster 200 Yamaha T60 18 mph upriver 22 mph downriver
2019 F150 EcoBeast 3.5 Supercrew 4x4 Max tow, Truetrac . Mods' a plenty

ROLAND

Re: Add a battery

#2 Post by ROLAND » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:14 pm

can't help you with the addition of another battery, but if getting your outboard to start is a bit of an issue after a day on the lake, you could carry a jump box on your boat. I have a one battery set up and carry the jump and carry 660 ( JNC 660). So far I've never had to use it but it's always on the boat just in case. I think the cheapest I've seen them lately is around 118 bucks or so on Amazon... just something to think about.
Attachments
heavy-duty-jump-starter-296x300.jpg
heavy-duty-jump-starter-296x300.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

steve1313

#3 Post by steve1313 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 am

I've seen the Weego jump box in action and they seem to work great. Even though I have two batteries, I just ordered one for my boat just in case somebody on the water needs a jump. The Weego is about the size of an iPhone (but thicker), so it's really easy to store. And right now they're less than $100

https://myweego.com/product/weego-44-1/
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Henpecked

#4 Post by Henpecked » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 am

Rather than run 3 pair of large battery cables to the helm, I'd just mount the switch in the back near the batteries. You only switch it before and after starting the motor. You can make it the "first mate"s" responsibility.

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:32 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 am
I've seen the Weego jump box in action and they seem to work great. Even though I have two batteries, I just ordered one for my boat just in case somebody on the water needs a jump. The Weego is about the size of an iPhone (but thicker), so it's really easy to store. And right now they're less than $100

I can honestly say I've never seen one of those. Hard to believe it would turn over a big ol outboard, but most of the reviews I read were all positive... really small and a lot less hassall then that big jump box I load and unload every trip... I'm going to have to look into getting one of those.. very convenient. Thanks for the info Steve
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

riplipper

#6 Post by riplipper » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:45 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 am
Very cool but my curiosity got me by the short ones. So did a little research.
There is the Weego 44 that is rated for 400 cranking amps, which may or may not be enough depending on engine size.
Good news is they make a weego 66, looks to be slightly taller and rated for 600 cranking amps
The 44 can be had pretty cheap, the 66 looks to be a little over 100 bucks.

I wonder how long they last? Logically thinking it is a battery so I would think it would have a lifetime and a limited amount of charging cycles???

And, FYI, I know NOTHING about electricity, amps, watts, volts or whatever.... so let me know if I am way off base here. thanks
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.