What gauges do you find a necessity to have?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

boocat

Re: What gauges do you find a necessity to have?

#31 Post by boocat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:10 am

FogHorn has been Pm'd

Steiner

#32 Post by Steiner » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:46 pm

teecro wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:45 am
Steiner wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:03 pm
You'd think it would if you can integrate it with whatever you use for a trip meter. Haven't looked into Yamaha's Command Link stuff but it has a lot of stuff displayed on the gauges like fuel consumption and other data.
The unit I'm currently using is a stand alone inline fuel flow meter that links via Bluetooth with my phone...

The WiFi unit I'm bringing online later links with the Yamaha and I'm expecting to see RPM, Volts, Oil Pres, Water Temp, Fuel Flow and Eng Hours displayed on my phone screen. I'm unsure but MPH may also come up as I'm told that the WiFi module has a GPS ant built in, we shall see. I know I can expand the network and eventually read the fuel tank too...
Hey, I was wrong about assuming the Simrad would track fuel usage since Yamaha outputs fuel rate. Requires a fuel data manager added to the network, about $90 to do the job. It just picks up the fuel rate and puts usage data out....you'd think that would already be built into devices that are able to display fuel rate but hey it gets them another $90. You probably already looked into it, might not even be required with what you're setting up....Navico/Lowrance/Simrad need it but I don't think Garmin does.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

steve1313

#33 Post by steve1313 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 am

Steiner wrote:

Hey, I was wrong about assuming the Simrad would track fuel usage since Yamaha outputs fuel rate. Requires a fuel data manager added to the network, about $90 to do the job. It just picks up the fuel rate and puts usage data out....you'd think that would already be built into devices that are able to display fuel rate but hey it gets them another $90. You probably already looked into it, might not even be required with what you're setting up....Navico/Lowrance/Simrad need it but I don't think Garmin does.
My Simrad is connected to my Yamaha 150 with an NMEA network and I get Gallons Per Hour shown on my Simrad. What does the fuel data manager add?
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Steiner

#34 Post by Steiner » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:13 am

steve1313 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 am
Steiner wrote:

My Simrad is connected to my Yamaha 150 with an NMEA network and I get Gallons Per Hour shown on my Simrad. What does the fuel data manager add?
It'll get you actual fuel used for trip, season, lifetime. They're supposed to be really accurate. I believe if you set your vessel info up with tank size it'll also show fuel remaining, range, etc. if you want to reset that stuff after every fill up. It is also a storage device for that info rather than storing it on the Simrad. Found an open box one on ebay for $65. They come with a T so if your backbone is easy to access like mine (just under the helm) it should take about 90 seconds to install.....but probably take a weekend to figure out all the stuff on the Simrad to display what you want. Garmin does it already without requiring the dongle. It's no longer called the EP85 but is its replacement if you're interested in looking into it and see that referenced anywhere.
https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/Root/Si ... n-Note.pdf
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Navico-Fue ... 22-001.htm
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=849730

steve1313

#35 Post by steve1313 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:04 am

Steiner wrote:

It'll get you actual fuel used for trip, season, lifetime. They're supposed to be really accurate. I believe if you set your vessel info up with tank size it'll also show fuel remaining, range, etc. if you want to reset that stuff after every fill up. It is also a storage device for that info rather than storing it on the Simrad. Found an open box one on ebay for $65. They come with a T so if your backbone is easy to access like mine (just under the helm) it should take about 90 seconds to install.....but probably take a weekend to figure out all the stuff on the Simrad to display what you want. Garmin does it already without requiring the dongle. It's no longer called the EP85 but is its replacement if you're interested in looking into it and see that referenced anywhere.
https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/Root/Si ... n-Note.pdf
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Navico-Fue ... 22-001.htm
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=849730
Thanks for the info and the links. I ordered the data manager from Hodges for $82. Cheap enough add-on to buy just to play around with!
Steve

Steiner

#36 Post by Steiner » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:27 am

steve1313 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:04 am

Thanks for the info and the links. I ordered the data manager from Hodges for $82. Cheap enough add-on to buy just to play around with!
You bet. I gotta learn to fiddle with it while still tied to the dock....that Simrad can be worse than texting while driving.

steve1313

#37 Post by steve1313 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:31 pm

Steiner wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:27 am

You bet. I gotta learn to fiddle with it while still tied to the dock....that Simrad can be worse than texting while driving.
That's so true. It's has one of the most un-intuitive UI's that I've used in a while. I had a Garmin before and it was much easier to use.
Steve

illinoid

#38 Post by illinoid » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:39 pm

I wish I had a gauge that would tell me which direction my motor is pointed. It is a tight squeeze to get my boat on and of the lift and I keep having to stand up to see what angle my motor is at. I like lots of gauges, Tack, depth, gps, temp, oil pressure, voltage, trim but none are really necessary except the standard alarm buzzers.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

Steiner

#39 Post by Steiner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 pm

steve1313 wrote:

Installed it...if you can even call it that.... yesterday and went out a little tonight. Pretty intuitive once you find where everything is to set up. You can add a fuel gauge and/or fuel remaining to your screens. Pretty easy to reset to full when filling the tank, or it'll even let you just type in how many gallons you put in if you use a can. Will see how accuracy is after the weekend.

Steiner

#40 Post by Steiner » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:28 am

Steiner wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 pm
steve1313 wrote:

Installed it...if you can even call it that.... yesterday and went out a little tonight. Pretty intuitive once you find where everything is to set up. You can add a fuel gauge and/or fuel remaining to your screens. Pretty easy to reset to full when filling the tank, or it'll even let you just type in how many gallons you put in if you use a can. Will see how accuracy is after the weekend.
Reported usage was 7.9xx gallons, refill was 8.6xx gallons so about a 10% error. There is a calibrate function on the refuel screen where it shows you gallons reported and you input actual gallons to refill but it errored on me, I think because I'd already checked "set to full" before noticing the calibrate button.

Steiner

#41 Post by Steiner » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am

Steiner wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:28 am

Reported usage was 7.9xx gallons, refill was 8.6xx gallons so about a 10% error. There is a calibrate function on the refuel screen where it shows you gallons reported and you input actual gallons to refill but it errored on me, I think because I'd already checked "set to full" before noticing the calibrate button.
Figured it out after RTFM....can only do the calibrate function if running a Navico flow sensor.

Marc K

#42 Post by Marc K » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

My fuel management system is "fill it up before I go out." :lol3 :biggrin2

This WOULD NOT be my approach if I boated on bigger waters or had a bigger motor like you guys. Living on a little 18 mile long lake and running a small motor has some advantages. With only 24 gallons, I have not been able to run it out in a single outing, but I carry a standard five gallon "get me home" gas can to be sure.

For me, cruise is just under 5 GPH at 18-20 MPH, depending upon load. Party in slow motion.
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Steiner

#43 Post by Steiner » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Hey, me too. We only get to do a weekend at a time and mostly just load up the dogs, hit an island, come back, repeat. Trailer down on a Friday, trailer home on Sunday and hit the Lake Shop on the way home to top off the tank along with stabilizer so every time we hit the water no matter when it might be we know it's got a full tank of stablized fuel. Also helps to keep from getting abused at the marina. There have literally been weekends back when I had the 90 that we only used three gallons but it still got topped off. Now since getting the 200 we do ride around a bit more since cruise speed jumped up...gotta dry the dogs off somehow. So far we only get to spend a full week down at the lake once a year, and I'll hit the marina after a few days to top off just to be safe.

BTW, amazing times we live in now where a 115 is a "small motor". :nana