To cover or not to cover

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

To cover or not to cover

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 pm

So I should hopefully be getting my new to me pontoon back from the shop soon and had a question about covers when the 'toon is not in use. First and foremost I'm in Florida so it's hot and humid. When I am not using my pontoon it will be parked on the trailer at my house. So with that said, should I invest in a cover for the boat, just make a makeshift cover out of old sheets (that was a recommendation by a guy at a boat shop), or just go no cover. My pontoon has a carpet floor so of course I am worried about mold and mildew growing under the cover since I would think it would be a great breading ground.

and if you recommend using a cover can you recommend what has worked best for you or at least a brand to use or ones to stay away from.

Thanks!
BIll
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

zoom650

Re: To cover or not to cover

#2 Post by zoom650 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 pm

The short answer is yes. Florida sun is intense and over the years will age your boat's looks like nobody's business. A decent cover can be vented, and is water repellent enough where moisture will evaporate. Leave your helm hatch open and seats lifted as it sits covered.

My mooring cover came with the boat from the manufacturer. In fact, I've just replaced mine by going through my dealer.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 am

100% agree, no debate there. Sun will kill the boat in short order.. Mold mildew can be dealt with. Ventilation.

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm

My boat stays in the water year round in SW Florida; Bimini top stays open, and no cover. Same for previous boats over the last 20+ years.

Most neighbors do the same, and no one puts a cover on their boat.

I have a cover, and top boot, but don’t use them.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.