Which new boat cover?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

photonfanatic

Which new boat cover?

#1 Post by photonfanatic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm looking to buy an aftermarket cover. The cover that came with my boat never really covered enough for my taste. Its also disintegrating. I want it to cover the fence, and the areas at the bow and stern. Those little places where you can step onto, but its outside the fence at the front and back of the boat. They're getting too much sun in my opinion, since they're apparently just that vinyl flooring. Does anyone have a recommendation on a high quality aftermarket cover that will meet that requirement? I guess it would just be a very large cover in order to cover up everything except for the logs themselves. My boat is a 2015 Veranda F4 Fishing

There seems to be a lot to choose from out there, and they're all expensive enough to warrant asking about other peoples' experiences. I'd like to get the toughest one, but also have it be real gentle on the inside of the boat. Maybe it has a really soft underside or something. I've learned the hard way that the underside of your cover can slap the vinyl of your seats until it messes it up. And then you need to do vinyl repair.

I am looking for something that has coverage like in the link below. But something tells me that a $160 cover is going to last about 1 year. So I'm guessing that particular cover isn't the one I'm looking for, since I would like it to hold up for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/MSC-Trailerable- ... rts&sr=1-4
Last edited by photonfanatic on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photonfanatic

Re: Which new boat cover?

#2 Post by photonfanatic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Here is one that I'd like to get you guys' opinion on. It doesn't cover the front and back but it does appear to cover the fence. I could make something to cover the front and back areas, out of the old disintegrating cover. Takes a few seconds for the page to load.

https://www.empirecovers.com/detail.asp ... &year=2015

steve1313

#3 Post by steve1313 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 am

I can't speak directly about either one of those particular covers, but when I had my Sea Ray V Hull, I bought a cover from Empire Covers and I was pleasantly surprised a the quality for the relatively low price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Empire again.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

riplipper

#4 Post by riplipper » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:03 am

My Harris came with a cover that covers 90% of the boat. I added a bit to cover rear deck and motor.
However........I have had boat covers on many boats, most had to be custom covers, sunbrella and such and found them to be EXTREMELY heavy. I cant even imagine wrestling a large pontoon cover made of that stuff. The cover that came with my Harris I am blown away with how light it is.
If I ever buy another cover, whatever that material is, is what I will order next time.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:40 am

i was reading some of the topics on this throughout the forum and one suggestion really stood out....look into a RV cover instead. you can get them big enough to cover the whole boat and trailer, they are usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and have many of the same features needed (UV resistance, weatherproof, etc...).
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

riplipper

#6 Post by riplipper » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

onlybillhere wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:40 am
i was reading some of the topics on this throughout the forum and one suggestion really stood out....look into a RV cover instead. you can get them big enough to cover the whole boat and trailer, they are usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and have many of the same features needed (UV resistance, weatherproof, etc...).
Nice idea right there...
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

BobL

#7 Post by BobL » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm

photonfanatic wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm
I am looking for something that has coverage like in the link below. But something tells me that a $160 cover is going to last about 1 year. So I'm guessing that particular cover isn't the one I'm looking for, since I would like it to hold up for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/MSC-Trailerable- ... rts&sr=1-4
The sub $200/$300 covers generally do not breathe well (hello mildew) and can bleed on the seats. My first factory cover (Bentley) was a cheap one that only lasted a couple of seasons, did not breathe, and bled on my seats. Personally, I would look for covers made of Sunbrella or very similar material. I have noticed that Boat Covers Direct uses two material types (one is slightly more expensive than the other).

Here are the descriptions of the material:

8oz Performance Polyguard Material ($541 for a 22ft)
Poly-Guard is made in the USA from durable 100% marine - grade polyester. Extremely water repellent and UV resistant, this material makes an excellent choice for a boat cover in just about any environment. Poly-Guard is a breathable fabric, meaning that air is allowed to penetrate the material, discouraging the formation of mold or mildew. The breathability of this material makes it a great choice specifically for areas which experience high humidity and moisture. Poly-Guard weighs 8 oz per yard, so it is lightweight and easy to handle. It offers the highest tear strength of all our materials. This material comes with a 5 year warranty.

7oz Sun-Dura ($568 for a 22ft)
Sun-DURA™ is a 100% marine grade polyester fabric which is made in the USA. This material was specifically developed to provide superior water repellency and UV resistance, and it is a Carver Industries exclusive. Sun-Dura™ is our most popular boat cover material, and because it is so water repellent, it makes a great choice for areas which receive a lot of rain. It is also a solution dyed material, which means that its dye is inherent to the cover's fibers, causing it to be exceptionally fade resistant. Sun-DURA™ has a 7 year warranty.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

zoom650

#8 Post by zoom650 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 pm

If its any help to you, I just bought a new mooring cover for my Solstice 220 from my Harris guy. $1,577. Here's the tag from the manufacture that's got the type of material, web site and the 800 number. Seems to be high quality with a nice, tight fit. See if they have patterns to fit your boat.

This new cover is identical to the OEM that came with the boat. It's lasted 5 years this summer, but was vandalized and repaired. Now a couple zippers need attention. Enough to send it to my canvas shop. This gives me a little back if there is a next time.
IMG_7637.JPG
IMG_7637.JPG (146.8 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
IMG_7639.JPG
IMG_7639.JPG (77.71 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

taylorjm

#9 Post by taylorjm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 pm

I went with this model. It was cheaper and I'm on my third summer in Michigan with it. Still in good shape. I figured for $200 if I got a few years out of it, I can always get another one. I used some S type hooks bolted through the deck on the outside of the fence and can loop the black straps from the back to the front even when it's in the water, then crawl under and put up the poles. I wasn't going to spend $1500 for a custom made cover when we only use the boat a couple weeks in summer and wasn't sure if we would keep it or upgrade.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/pontoon ... 78521.html
Attachments
2017-04-27 12.43.50.jpg
2017-04-27 12.43.50.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 4323 times

photonfanatic

#10 Post by photonfanatic » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks to all for the replies. I just realized something though, my bimini top doesn't go all the way down. It stays up, just at a 35 degree angle from the boat. But that is as low as it goes. So am I out of luck? Do I have to have an expensive custom cover? If I buy a premade cover, I'll end up having to cut holes in it. Maybe I just buy the cover, and have the holes cut and sewn properly?

I like the RV cover idea. But I haven't the faintest clue where to start looking. Would I need one for an actual RV? Or just a travel trailer? Would I need it to be a 22' cover since the boat is 22', or should I get 28' or 30' so that it for sure covers the whole boat? Lots of questions but I do like the idea.

onlybillhere

#11 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 am

photonfanatic wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm
I like the RV cover idea. But I haven't the faintest clue where to start looking. Would I need one for an actual RV? Or just a travel trailer? Would I need it to be a 22' cover since the boat is 22', or should I get 28' or 30' so that it for sure covers the whole boat? Lots of questions but I do like the idea.
there are a ton of different options, I too have been looking. I don't want one that is too tall cause I don't want the cover resting on the ground. I think it comes to what looks like it might work best. fun times.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

photonfanatic

#12 Post by photonfanatic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 am

onlybillhere wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 am
photonfanatic wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm
there are a ton of different options, I too have been looking. I don't want one that is too tall cause I don't want the cover resting on the ground. I think it comes to what looks like it might work best. fun times.
But then do you still use the tent poles? To keep it up off of the boat. I don't think you'd be able to, I think you'd just have to let it rest on the boat all the time, and pool up water.

onlybillhere

#13 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:51 am

photonfanatic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 am

But then do you still use the tent poles? To keep it up off of the boat. I don't think you'd be able to, I think you'd just have to let it rest on the boat all the time, and pool up water.
I seen where someone used pvc pipes to make an arches for the cover. it looked really simple and gave him some room to get in and do some work in the boat with the cover on. it will be one of those situations where you truly won't know how it's gonna work till you get all the parts and make it work.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

sstamm5907

#14 Post by sstamm5907 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:11 am

Hello all, I live in western Pa and happen to have an Amish canvas shop a few miles up the road. They did a fantastic job on my cover. Installed snaps and poles included $750