Help buying trailer

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mattk22359

Help buying trailer

#1 Post by mattk22359 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:07 pm

I am brand new to pontoon boats and relatively new to boating. We bought a new Sylvan Tritoon last fall (22' Sylvan Mirage 8522 LZ) with a 3/4 center toon and 150hp merc. Given the arrangement we've had in the past with our local marina we thought we'd be fine without the trailer but it looks like its getting to be more trouble than its worth trying to do without. For the most part this will be used twice a year. Once in the fall by the marina to move the boat 10 miles over back roads from our lake to the marina and then when they bring it back again in spring. Other than that the trailer will likely sit in a field and collecting dust and rust. At the moment though I need have some warranty work done and according to the manufacturer transport is entirely on me (which I fully understand). Further, the marinas claim they want it on its own trailer to do the warranty work. Ran into the same thing when moving it to an upholstery shop for custom furniture covers so decided its time to bite the bullet. Just have no idea where to start.

So was hoping to get some help determine how/what to buy. Are all pontoon boat trailers pretty much the same? Are they specific to pontoon boat length/size or will any pontoon trailer work? I had one dealer tell me that the center toon support is just an add on. Can this be added to any pontoon trailer? Any reason not to go used on the trailer and add a center support if needed? I've heard prices ranging from $2500 to $5000 - thats a big range. Thoughts on what to look for/look out for?

Sorry for all the questions. Your help is appreciated.
(p.s. I did try and search for this info)

Thanks,
Matt
-Matt
New Hampshire

22' Sylvan Mirage LZ LES tritoon w/150hp Merc

BobL

Re: Help buying trailer

#2 Post by BobL » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:42 pm

You pose a difficult question since the trailer will only be used twice a year and the trip is 10 miles or less. Here are some thoughts/comments:

1 - the price varies due to material type (painted/powder coated vs. galvanized vs. aluminum). Where you boat (fresh/salt/both water) determines the material.

2 - the price also varies due to brakes (none, surge, electric)

3 - get the center toon bunk/support. If you buy used, most newer toon trailers are usually universal and a center support can be added.

4 - at 22', you may only be able to get a tandem axle.

5 - personally, I would get an open I Beam and not a closed frame. A closed frame (even galvanized) allows water to sit inside the frame and it will start to rust.

6 - don't spend extra money on a swing away tongue since it will be sitting outside.

7 - you can save money on wheels/rims (some trailers have nice looking wheel/tire packages that can be $$)

With all that said, your resell will be better if you get a nice beefy trailer.

Load Rite and EZ Loader are popular in my area but if your local dealer sells another brand then consider buying local.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Just for grins , I may start with the dealer/mfg to see what trailer it would have come with if it was bought with a trailer..

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 am

Definitely start with dealer you bought boat from, easiest route.

And go with painted, open C channel frame, painted steel wheels and no brakes ( your small distance is controllable by tow vehicle) dont park it in grass it will rust a lot easier. Put down gravel so you can spray weed/grass killer, put axles on blocks to get tires off the ground and get tire covers to help stop uv damage
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

mattk22359

#5 Post by mattk22359 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:54 am

Thank you for the great info. A follow-up question. If I do find a used trailer, any thoughts/advice on how to measure for fit to ensure my boat will properly fit on it? I just looked up the specs. It is called a 22' the spec's say the actual length is 23' 10".

Thanks again! -Matt
-Matt
New Hampshire

22' Sylvan Mirage LZ LES tritoon w/150hp Merc

bansil

#6 Post by bansil » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Couple things depending on your trailer, they have 2 basic ones

1) supports the floor, I dont like because pontoons are too close to the ground if you have hills and sharp transition like driveways, you can drag pontoons = very bad.
A pro? If super flat roads, it reduces overall ht for trees, bridges, signs etc

2) trailers that support toons from the bottom, great for clearances on road, bad for extra ht though

I personally have to use #2 for driveways, fields and dirt roads I travel on, I have never used #1due to where i live and travel.

You want to support the full tube, so you dont crush them.

Take a couple measurements.

Distance center to center of toons at the back.(to see if adjustment is available to have toons centered on both bunks)

Measure between the tubes (to see if enough adjustment is available on the trailer for vertical guides that go inside the pontoons to control side to side when loading)

Measure from back of pontoons to the front of the boats deck. This is where forward stop will be
Make sure winch,tie down "tower" be adjusted so back of pontoons are on bunks and bow of deck is resting against the stop.

Any other questions just ask
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Liquid Asset

#7 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Ok I'd recommend you buy a new trailer. You're not towing much so you really don't need brakes (something to go wrong sitting most of the time) . A rectangle tube frame is what 99%of pontoon trailers are made of. Get a painted one unless you're in salt water. Get a bunk style trailer as they are the only option as you have a center log , unless you buy a expensive trailer like a dealer would own. Your boat is only a 3/4 log so you'll never support the weight of the motor. A center bunk is unnecessary especially since you tow short distance. My last tritoon was towed thousands of miles around the state of Michigan on a 2bunk trailer. Get an affordable new reliable trailer for your needs. I was sent out with a 27' tritoon with a 300 hp motor on a 2 bunk trailer. It was just fine. " Not mine I'd add a bunk to that" but it worked great . That was a dealer demo but it was a very expensive boat and they were good with it.

All this said I just spent over $4k for my trailer full bunks disc breaks, heavy gvw and tires. For local seasonal storage it's unnecessary.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !