LIFE VEST

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

steve1313

Re: LIFE VEST

#16 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 am

I routinely show and tell people on my boat where life jackets are before we leave the dock and I ask if anybody wants one. Never had any takers. I also require kids to wear them as required by law

This past weekend, we were out for the fireworks with 7 aboard. After fireworks, The cruise back to my slip is about a 20-30 minute ride, in the dark, with 100's of other boaters. Some are drunk, some are stupid, some are going at full throttle, some are at idle speed, etc. etc. I'm cautious but deliberate in navigating my boat back. It's the only time I ask people to put on life jackets. Everyone is always is happy to do so. Except this year. I had some friends of friends onboard, and the guy said he didn't need one because "I'm a great swimmer", he said. I told him that was fine, so go ahead and jump overboard and start swimming. He reluctantly took the life jacket and put it on. Halfway through the trip back, I looked back and noticed he had taken it off. Guess who's never getting invited back on my boat????????????
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

onlybillhere

#17 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

when the captain of the boat tells you to do something, you do it. I don't blame you for not inviting him back, if he doesn't listen to you now what makes you think he'll listen to you later.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

TDJ2591

#18 Post by TDJ2591 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm

The prior owner left me 16 never used orange Mae West vests which are still stored under a seat. Since we enjoy water sports, we bought nice neoprene vests for all the regular boaters in sizes from small child to XL. Sure, we have way too many vests on board, but they aren’t in the way when they are out. We keep a vest out for each person on board.

There was an accident involving 2 boats on our lake last week on Independence Day following the fireworks show. Sadly, a beautiful 26-year old female who was a passenger in a MasterCraft has not yet been found. The MasterCraft collided with a Harris pontoon at 10pm. The deceased girl’s boyfriend, the operator of the MasterCraft, was arrested. Things may have turned out differently had she been wearing a PFD though I admit that hardly anyone wears one unless they are going into the water.

You can sometimes find good buys (seasonal) on neoprene vests at Sam’s Club and Academy Sports.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

TWB

#19 Post by TWB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am

TDJ2591 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm

There was an accident involving 2 boats on our lake last week on Independence Day following the fireworks show. Sadly, a beautiful 26-year old female who was a passenger in a MasterCraft has not yet been found. The MasterCraft collided with a Harris pontoon at 10pm. The deceased girl’s boyfriend, the operator of the MasterCraft, was arrested. Things may have turned out differently had she been wearing a PFD though I admit that hardly anyone wears one unless they are going into the water.
Saw the news article about that young lady and was shocked that I know the family. Very sad. I agree 100% - the fact that the event happened is very sad, but without a PFD, the inability to find her makes it excruciating.

Steve - Totally agree. NO return invite for that guy. Smug SOB.
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

SLTKota

#20 Post by SLTKota » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:16 am

I am still outfitting my new boat and was looking at how many I need to have on board. My boat is rated for 12 and I doubt I'll ever have that many on board but I'll probably put 12 on anyway since I have a shed full of them.

For anyone that needs more just for capacity sake, check yard sales and estate sales near lakes. You can usually get some in good condition for a fraction of what they cost new.

I also try to keep vest in the front of my boats as they are easier to get to and that keeps people from putting heavier stuff up on the bow (which slows you down)

Steiner

#21 Post by Steiner » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Wally World has a four pack of "real" X20 jackets in a breathable bag plus a throwable with straps for $45, caught them for $25 on their grocery app where you can order stuff for curb side pick up. Score. Gave away most of the orange minimalist ones when I sold and upgraded and had to re-outfit.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

onlybillhere

#22 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:28 am

Steiner wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:09 pm
Wally World has a four pack of "real" X20 jackets in a breathable bag plus a throwable with straps for $45, caught them for $25 on their grocery app where you can order stuff for curb side pick up. Score.
I just checked my app and they have the 4 packs for $35...still a good price
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

Steiner

#23 Post by Steiner » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:24 pm

onlybillhere wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:28 am
Steiner wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:09 pm
Wally World has a four pack of "real" X20 jackets in a breathable bag plus a throwable with straps for $45, caught them for $25 on their grocery app where you can order stuff for curb side pick up. Score.
I just checked my app and they have the 4 packs for $35...still a good price
What's weird is $35 is what they were showing for on walmart.com when I got the ones through the grocery app for $25 a couple weeks ago. The normal Walmart app shows the singles on clearance for $5.

Gotta hit it right sometimes. Several weeks ago I checked there for tires and got a set of Firestone Destination LE2's in 245/70R17 for my tow vehicle for $107 apiece, plus a $15 rebate per tire....that basically just paid the install since they dropped the free mounting and balancing. Three days later they were $124. Today they're $132.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package