For those who have rebuilt a mechanical fuel pump...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

For those who have rebuilt a mechanical fuel pump...

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 am

So I have a 95 Mercury 60hp 2 stroke that i am fixing up. replaced fuel lines, filter, and now I'm on to the fuel pump. Got the rebuild kit and watched videos, pretty straight forward HOWEVER just one thing has questioning the rebuild, well really two. In the middle of the fuel pump are the check valves (basically round rubber discs held in with a plastic push in pins), in one video they show putting the rubber disc and the plastic disk in with the plastic push in pin to secure it, and pushing the pins in so they are flush with the top.

In a second video I see just using the plastic disc (the rubber ones are not used at all) and pushing the plastic push pins in flush.

I have seen also that the plastic push pins are NOT supposed to be pushed in.

So...how's it supposed to be? It looks like based of the diagram https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... RZdyU7R41v I use the rubber and plastic disc but it doesn't show anything about the push pins.
The discs are supposed to sit flat in the fuel pump housing however in mine there is a slight gap which may be cause by the push pins being pushed in all the way....but that's how the original ones were when I opened it up.

I'm wonder if the push pins don't need to be pushed in and being pushed in may be causing the check valves to curl up just slightly.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm mechanically inclined so I have no issues doing things myself, I just want to make sure I do them correctly.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

onlybillhere

Re: For those who have rebuilt a mechanical fuel pump...

#2 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 am

so I ordered another rebuild kit just in case, you never know. I had to take the carbs out and clean them since there were a mess. Got them rebuilt and ready to go back in this weekend. This has been a learning process but hopefully soon the engine will come back alive.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

Marc K

#3 Post by Marc K » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Get 'er done quick!
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

onlybillhere

#4 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:07 am

Marc K wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:18 pm
Get 'er done quick!
you have no idea how bad it is sitting here waiting to get this boat in working order. now the trim motor needs to be serviced, has a leak around the ram. no biggie...but just another thing to fix.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me