Pet peeve

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Marc K

Pet peeve

#1 Post by Marc K » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:57 pm

With the night temps being so mild right now, I have been doing more sunset, moonlight cruises. This tends to be a sensitive subject among some boaters, but
sometimes I wish I had a big time PA system to announce to other boaters cruising after dark:

"Turn off your docking lights! They are not headlights, you are blinding other boaters. Learn the rules."

In general, when I have had the chance to go one-on-one and explain it nicely, the response that I get is something like "Hey, it's dark out here and I WILL light it up for my own safety." I continue to resist installing some really serious "high beams." It is surprising how much raw, focused candlepower power is readily available when you have the alternator/battery reserve.

Rant over
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

FogHorn

Re: Pet peeve

#2 Post by FogHorn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Docking lights are legal to utilize to search for flotsam and unlit obstacles. On the other hand it IS ILLEGAL to deliberately blind another boater in retaliation.
If someone’s dock lights offend you...change course and don’t look at them is the proper solution. IMO
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

steve1313

#3 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:46 am

FogHorn wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 pm
Docking lights are legal to utilize to search for flotsam and unlit obstacles. On the other hand it IS ILLEGAL to deliberately blind another boater in retaliation.
If someone’s dock lights offend you...change course and don’t look at them is the proper solution. IMO
Foghorn, I generally share the same pet peeve as the OP and have always heard it was illegal. Do you have any documentation that states it's legal to use them? Not trying to call you out, just want to learn.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Bamby

#4 Post by Bamby » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:07 am

The best way to deal with the idiots is to carry a bright handheld spotlight or even some of the flashlights available these days. Just point the light at them and briefly blast them. If they fail to turn them off blast them again for a bit longer, repeat as needed until they get the message. Nobody needs lights out on the water it's remarkable how well one can see at night once one eyes adjust to the darkness.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

curtiscapk

#5 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:30 am

in TN its illegal to use lights other than your nav/anchor markers while you are running. They may make an exception for a handheld spotlight at slow speeds, but I know I was talking to a TWRA officer the other day about writing a pontoon boat for running his docking lights while underway.

Illegal to run with docking lights on in
VA
MO
Ks
and many more.

check your facts!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

curtiscapk

#6 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 am

Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Marc K

#7 Post by Marc K » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:39 am

FogHorn wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 pm
LOL, it isn't a matter of feeling offended, it's the dramatic loss of night vision for a good bit of time. Yes, of course safety comes first and that is a two way street. I have never seen anyone complain about judicious use of lights to check for obstacles. The intent of the rule is to avoid unnecessary blinding of other boaters, and/or masking the standard nav lights - which creates a hazard of its own. Obviously there are exceptions, but the key is to use them "only as needed." Sorry if that was unclear in my post.

Internet posts are often misunderstood, but your tone would suggest that you are one of the people who feels that they need headlights full time?

Marc

PlaynDoc

#8 Post by PlaynDoc » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 pm

it seems to me... whenever i'd turn on my docking lights, my field of vision greatly decreases.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

FogHorn

#9 Post by FogHorn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks, Marc.
It turns out that just last evening my wife and I went out for an overnight on our tritoon and I was coaching her on navigating the lake, when we came upon a long left curve in the lake. In the middle of that two-mile bend, coming opposite direction was another pontoon with so many lights showing it was difficult to determine his direction of travel. He had perimeter blue LED lights which gave an overwhelming blue to the water surrounding his boat and completely washing out/overpowering his navigation lighting (exactly what the Coast Guard guidlines intend to combat).
To top that off, the other boater apparently realized he was being approached by us so he switched on his Docking Lights which further made a mess of things. (I have no idea how he/she retained any night-vision on the otherwise pitch-dark lake as they rode around in their brilliance.)

I agree completely that Dock lights (and other search lights, etc) should not be used if they interfere with other boats in the area. But I personally have used them when navigating in open water which had debris/logs in the water as an avoidance technique. If an oncoming boat came within range of my short-distance docking lights then I would have already steered away from them to avoid them and the lights would not be pointed at them.

It’s important I feel to not mis-read the Coast Guard. They do not prohibit other lighting. (Look at any cruise ship.). Coast Guard only cautions against lighting that interferes with a vessels required navigation lighting.

I appreciate your internet interpretation comment. Thanks.
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

Bamby

#10 Post by Bamby » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:14 am

I know I go as far as to cover my console with towels at night so the gauge lights don't contribute to screwing up my night vision. Why they don't come back lighted with red or green bulbs from the get go is beyond my pay grade.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

steve1313

#11 Post by steve1313 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 am

Bamby wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:14 am
I know I go as far as to cover my console with towels at night so the gauge lights don't contribute to screwing up my night vision. Why they don't come back lighted with red or green bulbs from the get go is beyond my pay grade.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I was struggling to see on my way back from the July 4th fireworks on a moonless night with dozens of boats all around. I had turned off my GPS and radio because even in night mode they were bright. When we got back to my slip, one of my passengers mentioned how much light the gauges were shining on my face, which would have certainly diminished my night vision. I'll have to remember to cover them next time. Or maybe look into replacing the bulbs or seeing If there is any way to put the gauge lights on a separate switch.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#12 Post by lakerunner » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:11 am

I changed my white instrument lights to red. no longer need to cover dash with a towel.

https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Dashboard- ... ay&sr=8-28
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

bansil

#13 Post by bansil » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Definitely know the feeling, i caught grief from a long time boater friend about my 4x4 led lights front/rear...UNTIL!...he realized i wasnt using them for headlights. He was also amazed when we got back to dock (8 or so rows of slips), I flipped them on and he was like "great idea! I gotta do that".

Whats that you ask?

My lights are pointed down about 60*, all they light up is about 12 foot circle of water in front and couple feet on the side, plenty of light to dock. :smoke

I was also thanked many times by folks partying on docks that I didn't blind them and actually had MORE light than them pointing straight.

Try it folks and give me feedback on your thoughts
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Marc K

#14 Post by Marc K » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm

That's a good idea! I will try it. With the water reflectivity, it makes a lot of sense. I have kept mine old school incandescent bulbs intentionally to avoid the blue blindness from LEDs. I know that I am being repetitive, but night vision is slowly earned and rapidly taken away. Even the low glow of a cigarette lighter "night blinds" you for about 15 minutes. With bright LEDs with the blue color temps, kiss it off longer. I have down lights in my boathouse, so I have never once used my docking lights in the almost 2 years that I have lived on the lake.

Age is huge factor also. On average, at 35-40 years old, your visual acuity in deep darkness is roughly half compared to when you are 18 years old. Then it really starts going to heck at about 60. Think about all of the older folks who just don't want to drive at night - they simply cannot see well. Again, this is for most people - not everyone.

Try it sometime with younger folks when everyone has had a chance to stabilize their "night vision." I did it as a part of a training course and got a big dent in my ego :biggrin2

bansil

#15 Post by bansil » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Make sure review the light id3a for others in this thread :wink:
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com