Sun Tracker anchor light/stern light/light on top of bimini top???? NEED A THUMB SCREW

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

one028

Sun Tracker anchor light/stern light/light on top of bimini top???? NEED A THUMB SCREW

#1 Post by one028 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:06 pm

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING......where do I get a replacement thumb screw (fell out while trailering to the lake) for the anchor light/stern light on top of the Bimini top (im not really sure the exact technical name for the light). I have been to bass pro shop, contacted service centers and NO ONE can tell me the size I need as a replacement. Anyone have a Sun Tracker pontoon can tell me where I can get a replacement thumb screw for the light.....amazon would be great. Or give me the exact size so I can find something at a hardware store.

steve1313

Re: Sun Tracker anchor light/stern light/light on top of bimini top???? NEED A THUMB SCREW

#2 Post by steve1313 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 am

It's probably going to be hard for someone who has a similar setup to correctly measure the diameter and thread size. Go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have a large selection of various sizes in those drawers with all the unusual fasteners, etc. I'd buy a handful of different sizes, both SAE and Metric. Yes, you'll end up with a few you'll probably never use, but for the few bucks you'll spend, it's probably the easiest way to do it.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

boocat

Re: Sun Tracker anchor light/stern light/light on top of bimini top???? NEED A THUMB SCREW

#3 Post by boocat » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:19 am

When mine came off, my Tracker dealer ( not Bass Pro) just sent me a new one. But yes,, just a plain ol wing nut would do fine, not sure the size. I could look in a couple of days. Like stated above, common size and I would put like a rubber washer behind it.

teecro

#4 Post by teecro » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:29 am

A simple trip to the hardware store for what is most likely a 1/4'-20 thread or 6mm by 1.0 thread thumb screw is in order...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

FogHorn

#5 Post by FogHorn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 pm

+1

Teecro has it right. I did exactly the same thing last week while adjusting my anchor/tail light and dropped the screw overboard.
By using some spare bolts in the shop I discoverd it was a common (Atwood brand I believe) that was a 1/4” X 20 thread. I took a wing-nut and used my MIG wire-feed welder to stick the wingnut onto the 1/4” hex-bolt head and was back in business.
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

bansil

#6 Post by bansil » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Sharpen a regular ole #2 pencil, insert into hole, apply some pressure and turn the pencil.

This will make a round mark, take said pencil to Lowes or other big hardware store.

Go to hardware isle and hanging on a post will be a plastic chart with holes in it, insert pencil to determine the size, it should stop near your mark, as has been mentioned it is probably a 1/4-20 or metric

Good luck
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

wc9550

#7 Post by wc9550 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 am

While mine isn’t sun tracker I had the exact same thing happen on my Bimini (lost the thumb screw while towing). I removed the mounting bracket from the top (it’s held on with 2 bolts) and took the base to Ace Hardware. I sat in the bolt isle for a minute and found mine to be a 5/16-18 bolt. So I got a 3/4” long stainless steel button head bolt and put it back together. It will be a little more difficult to adjust mine now, but at least I’m legal on the water when it’s dark out. I might tig weld a wing nut to the head of it so I don’t need an Allen key to adjust it. Good luck
2019 South Bay 224SB2 3.0 tritoon with 2019 Merc. L200