Will pontoon cleaner remove a name off the toons?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

SLTKota

Will pontoon cleaner remove a name off the toons?

#1 Post by SLTKota » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 am

I've just picked up my first pontoon and have yet to use pontoon cleaner on it but I am keeping it in the water so I plan to pull it out a few times a year to clean off the pontoons.

I am still thinking about what I'm going to name it but I'm thinking about putting the name on the pontoon and not on the fence. My worry is that the pontoon cleaner will mess up the name. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

teecro

Re: Will pontoon cleaner remove a name off the toons?

#2 Post by teecro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Pontoon Cleaner as in an Alum Brightener? Keep in mind that Alum Brightener is a mixture of 2 mild acids and chemicals that are specifically designed to remove the oxidation from alum and generally have little affect on painted surface etc. But then again its an acid so its likely to do a small amount of damage even if you can't see it to stickers and such...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

SLTKota

#3 Post by SLTKota » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 am

I was planning to use something like that to remove the algae growth after it has been sitting in the water for a while. To be honest, I am not really sure what I am going to use for it yet. I might just put the name up on the fence so I don't have to worry about it.

zoom650

#4 Post by zoom650 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:54 am

I didn't try a cleaner, but I did try a heat gun and it started to blister the paint under the decal of my Harris. Be real careful if you try that method.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:38 am

If it were me, I think I would just put the name on the fence.. but even then be careful.. if you take it to one of those do it yourself car washes, the water pressure from the nozzel can strip your boats name / decals right off the fencing. I use those DIY car washes a couple of times a year to clean my boat... but on the fencing I just lightly spray it to get it wet, then I just take a soapy wash mitt and hand wash the fencing, then just lightly rinse it. I'm not playing about being careful with that wand... last year I drove my 4 runner into one of those car washes to get rid of some bugs that smashed into the front end and on the mirrors.. must have been a weak spot ' cause the second that spray hit one of the mirrors, a huge chunk of paint came flying off the mirror.. Just saying be careful.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Steiner

#6 Post by Steiner » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:31 am

I wonder if a static cling decal instead of stick-on vinyl or paint would work. You could take it off any time you wanted to deep clean and they're pretty robust. There are tons of places all over the web that let you make a custom design. Figure on the fence it would be fine, don't know about the tube of it has that spun texture.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package