My engine dilemma...what would you do?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

My engine dilemma...what would you do?

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 am

So I have a 1995 Mercury 60hp (non-bigfoot) 2 stroke, got the top end running (new fuel lines, new gas, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, just fun stuff)...anyway....the lower end is a much different story. I put new oil in it, new impeller (and one of the bolt holes that holds the water pump housing down has been cracked and broken off), hooked up my muffs and ran it...ran good. So I decided to drain the lower oil to check for metal shavings and I notice a good amount of water in the oil. So new seals are needed...I didn't really need the oil to tell me that, but it needs to be done anyway. Trying to pull the bearing carrier out....no way, it's not budging. So off to the boat shop I go....

So making a long story not as long, the lower end is going to require quite a good amount of work to get it back up and running...and there is no guarantee they can do it, depends on what kind of shape the internals are once they get the carrier bearing out.
So here are my options:
1) have the original lower end rebuilt (if it can be) and it will run around $1200-$1500 (possibly more)
2) Try and find a used lower end online....could run into the same issues I am having now, no guarantee
3) Buy a new Mercury lower end for about $1900
3) Find a used larger engine (90hp) which my pontoon will support. I have found 2 around my area both $2000 each but being used I might be in the same boat (pun intended) as I am in now

So what would you do?
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

boocat

Re: My engine dilemma...what would you do?

#2 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm

I think a good used 90 if you could somehow know it's a good one??

steve1313

#3 Post by steve1313 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a new boat! Interest rates are low! He with the best toys wins! :lol3

Seriously though, have you checked SEI to see if they might have a replacement lower unit. I know some folks on our lake have used them with good success.

https://www.sterndrive.cc/Mercury-Marin ... Units.html
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

onlybillhere

#4 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:20 pm

boocat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm
I think a good used 90 if you could somehow know it's a good one??
and that is where the issue lies...I'm taking a chance of it having issues too. I'm really leaning towards the larger motor and taking the chance. no guarantee that if I put a new lower end on the 60hp the motor will last another week or month...so I could be looking for a whole new motor anyway.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:23 pm

steve1313 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:19 pm
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a new boat! Interest rates are low! He with the best toys wins! :lol3

Seriously though, have you checked SEI to see if they might have a replacement lower unit. I know some folks on our lake have used them with good success.

https://www.sterndrive.cc/Mercury-Marin ... Units.html
I just bought this boat even though it's used...just couldn't see pulling the trigger on new. Once the wife is out enjoying the river I think there is a better chance later on to upgrading to new but that's far down the road.

As for SEI, yes, I called them and I have the smaller version which they don't have. Trust me, I was all ready to send the $900 for the new lower, card in hand.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

boocat

#6 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Is it possible to get one of the 90s to a mechanic for a survey?

onlybillhere

#7 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:30 pm

boocat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:55 pm
Is it possible to get one of the 90s to a mechanic for a survey?
one of the 90hp is in my city so there is a real good chance.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#8 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 am

So I think I have came to a decision and it makes the most sense to me. I'm gonna pony up for a new lower end. As much as a larger motor sounds nice, the chance of it putting me back in the same position doesn't sit well with me. Even if a shop checks out the motor there is still a chance that it could require a bunch of work. Get the new piece and that's one thing I don't have to worry about, I can move on to the next issue to fix.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

Steiner

#9 Post by Steiner » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 am

Take out the Progressive insurance with the lower unit coverage. Wait 30 days and put 'er in the woods.
Partly kidding.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

FogHorn

#10 Post by FogHorn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:21 am

onlybillhere wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 am
So I think I have came to a decision and it makes the most sense to me. I'm gonna pony up for a new lower end. As much as a larger motor sounds nice, the chance of it putting me back in the same position doesn't sit well with me. Even if a shop checks out the motor there is still a chance that it could require a bunch of work. Get the new piece and that's one thing I don't have to worry about, I can move on to the next issue to fix.
I wrote a reply to your dilemma and then deleted it/didn’t post it because I felt it wouldn’t really be helpful... but that was going to be my advice. I was once in exactly the same situation as you described with an older Mercury and ultimately bought the new lower unit. That was way back in ‘88 and the present owner of that motor is still happy with it.
At least with that new lower end you’ll know what you have!
Have safe, fun with your new-to-you ‘toon.
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

onlybillhere

#11 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:46 am

so get this....there are currently only 2, yes 2, lower ends left from Mercury for my engine. what are the chances? Now I know why I couldn't find this part anywhere. So out the door it's gonna run me $2227.98. I'm not too happy about it but it's a B.O.A.T...Break Out Another Thousand :lol3
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#12 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 am

And now the rest of the story....(hopefully someone gets that reference)

So called to order my lower end today, all excited, and we told that the 2 lower ends in the country have been sold. WTF!?!? So they are checking to see if that is actually the case or if they are getting anymore in. So know I'm in limbo, pissed off, hoping they find something but prepared to look for a bigger motor.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#13 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 am

In a turn of good news, Mercury said that my lower end is not discontinued WOO HOO!! It's just gonna take them a couple weeks to get the lower end back in stock. Already put my money down so the next one is mine!
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

ROLAND

#14 Post by ROLAND » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:31 am

That's good news Billy... hope they get one to you soon.. congratulations.. I know it's still an expensive fix, but it's a lot cheaper than a whole new motor.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

bansil

#15 Post by bansil » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:59 am

Do you have this?
Non bigfoot lower starts 6A-1 (it is for the 4 stroke, lower parts should be the same)

http://www.motooff.ru/assets/files/doc/ ... 883065.pdf

I would personally take the old one apart, being it is 25 years old, most service people don't have a clue about 2 strokes anyways and if you got upper running good, why not try your hand at the lower?

Good luck
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com