What do you expect/want your guests to bring onboard?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

steve1313

What do you expect/want your guests to bring onboard?

#1 Post by steve1313 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Is it just me, or does anyone else get frustrated when you invite guests to join you and then want to bring "stuff"? One of the reasons I have a pontoon boat is there is plenty of room for everyone, but I hate when people show up with their own cooler, towels, food, toys, etc. etc.

Of course, whenever I invite folks to go out on my boat, their first question is usually "what can I bring?". While I appreciate the gesture, my answer is always "NOTHING!" I ask everyone what they want to drink during the day and I make sure I have plenty of whatever. I also explain to them I have towels, sunscreen, plenty of food and drink, water toys, life jackets, cigars, etc. To me, if I invite you as my guest, I should handle everything. Plus it eliminates having to worry about where to put everyone's stuff when they come aboard. I even keep extra sunglasses, hats, and even hair ties for the ladies onboard.

I also feel the same way about people buying fuel for my boat. Yes, I appreciate the offer, but it would be like inviting someone to my house and expecting them to pay part of the utility bills.

Just curious to hear what others do! :)
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: What do you expect/want your guests to bring onboard?

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:50 pm

I agree but if they offer to bring the food I say what works and doesn't. NO Cheetos,Cheezits, Or anything else cheese coated. I am with you on fuel though I am going burn it with or without company
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 am

Well I guess I'm selling my boat and moving to Lake Anna.
Miller Lite is fine, Steve. And plenty of it.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

Marc K

#4 Post by Marc K » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 am

Steve, you are a very gracious host! Not everyone is accustomed to that, so they have difficulty accepting it - they get uncomfortable. Others simply want to feel prepared, even though they know that you already are.

Yep, we discuss what we already have onboard which includes all of the normal things because we go out often. Like you, beverages are discussed in advance and are ready in copious quantities. :biggrin2 It doesn't matter either way to me if guests still want to bring their own stuff - we have plenty of space. Whatever makes them comfortable.

Discussions about fuel are easily deflected by me responding with: "Don't worry about, It doesn't use much gas and we take the boat out every few days anyway." I fill my boat with gas in my boathouse, so there no trips to the gas dock to trigger the "reach for their wallet."

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 pm

People don't want to feel like they are freeloading or using you just for your boat, so that's why the offers of bringing stuff (food, gas). I have a Superbowl party every year and cook all day, provide drinks, basically everything you will need to eat or drink and people still ask if they can bring something...even the ones that have been to my house year after year. I think it's just basic nature to feel like you are contributing.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Steiner wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 am
Steiner - Come on, you're welcome anytime. I'll have plenty of Miller Lite and I might even try to convince you to try a better beer, or even a fine scotch or whiskey!
Steve

steve1313

#7 Post by steve1313 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Marc K wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 am
Steve, you are a very gracious host! Not everyone is accustomed to that, so they have difficulty accepting it - they get uncomfortable. Others simply want to feel prepared, even though they know that you already are.

Yep, we discuss what we already have onboard which includes all of the normal things because we go out often. Like you, beverages are discussed in advance and are ready in copious quantities. :biggrin2 It doesn't matter either way to me if guests still want to bring their own stuff - we have plenty of space. Whatever makes them comfortable.

Discussions about fuel are easily deflected by me responding with: "Don't worry about, It doesn't use much gas and we take the boat out every few days anyway." I fill my boat with gas in my boathouse, so there no trips to the gas dock to trigger the "reach for their wallet."

Marc
Marc - I certainly appreciate my guests offering and it doesn't go unnoticed. But I still typically decline their offers!.

Speaking of fuel, most people don't expect a $100 tab if I need to fuel up my boat, so the last thing I want them to do is offer and then be surprised when it's $100+. I'll never forget the time when I was in my 20's and got invited by a friend to go out on with his family on their 30 something foot cruiser. I "insisted" on paying for filling up the boat after a long day of cruising around. I don't remember the exact amount, but needless to say I was shocked when it was hundreds of dollars, which in those days was probably nearly as much as my rent or car payment. Luckily, his dad saw the probable look of terror on my face and refused to let me pay. Years later I laughed about it with his dad.
Steve

Marc K

#8 Post by Marc K » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:25 pm

LOL, I did the same thing trying to "carry my weight" as a guest in my early 20's on an offshore run from Newport Beach, CA out to Catalina Island in their 34' Tollycraft with twin V8 I/O's. As with you, my friend's Dad knew that I was waaaay out of my league and gracefully declined my insistence. I do not recall the amount, but as you said it was about equal to my mortgage payment at the time. Lesson learned!

bansil

#9 Post by bansil » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:20 am

Got to agree with you, we are moar open about food since we have no furniture.
Now when they ask, i do say bring your own chair, we keep a few extra on board BUT some of our friends are...ugh....bigley :mrgreen: and our chairs are smaller/cheaper incase they walk off, we had an incedent
Last year that prompted that change :happy

As for fuel we do about $40/50 a day with 11mph cruising and lots of lounging, last weekend we invited friends and thier 3 kids, with gas and a stop at capt. Table for 2 sampler platters and order of drunken mussels.(i paid)..I heard him say "they have spent $100 so far" she said "can we help out with money?"

No you are our guests, Saturday we ate babyback ribs, tators and corn at their place tho...win, win.

They. Want a boat, I said it is better to have a friend with a boat :wink:

They can't afford the lake life yet...

Cheers!!!!
2019-08-19 05.36.10.jpg
2019-08-19 05.36.10.jpg (164.06 KiB) Viewed 5217 times

Last one....

It is great to have DD also at times....I was lazy last weekend and it was 90*

Guess ,i need to update thread
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Steiner

#10 Post by Steiner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:33 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:45 pm
Steiner wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 am
Steiner - Come on, you're welcome anytime. I'll have plenty of Miller Lite and I might even try to convince you to try a better beer, or even a fine scotch or whiskey!
Hey, I was just trying to be easy since cold and wet hits most of the major points but since you offered....maybe some Devils Backbone Vienna Lager, ought to be easy to find around you at least. For y'all that like to partake, these guys have the best cold drink accessories on the planet. I've given away lots of the can coolers and whiskey glasses as gifts and we've got a bunch of them between home and the camper at the lake.
https://www.brumate.com/collections/bee ... ction=trio

You know, I'm sure that most of us that want to be good hosts are also the type to offer every and anything when someone else is hosting.

Getting surprised with the money for some reason reminds of the old Abbot and Costello restaurant sketch....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkX7KBHdlbY
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

TWB

#11 Post by TWB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:56 am

Like most here, we keep pretty much everything on the boat already. Towels aplenty, 4 or 5 different sunscreens, toys, etc. We will ask what you'd like to drink and get it, or, if you have "discriminating taste", you can bring it and we will add it to our cooler. We will generally put out info about what we're planning to eat. If you need something different because of allergies or diet, bring it on.
But I agree about the gas -- I'll take care of it. We were going out anyway. Have us over one night to eat!

We invited you. I don't expect you to pay for it. BUT! I have had 2 occasions where someone kinda "invited themselves" - those times I gladly took them up on their "pay for the gas" offer. They haven't come back!

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

riplipper

#12 Post by riplipper » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:56 pm

beer......with ice.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Marc K

#13 Post by Marc K » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:16 am

riplipper wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:56 pm
beer......with ice.
I'm not fond of ice in my beer :biggrin2

NonHyphenAmerican

#14 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 am

On our boat, we too have towels, sunscreen, bug spray(not often needed), diet caffeine free pop(wifey has heart issues) PBR beer and water.

Eating depends on who it is and what we're doing.

So cruising around with friends/family, maybe pulling the tube, if they have something in particular they drink that I don't have, they're welcome to bring it.

Fishing means you bring your own pole or two, your own tackle and/or bait as long as it doesn't take up half the boat. Fishing buddies that drink prodigious amounts of beer usually chip in and bring a supply of PBR to help augment the supply on the boat.

One "Velcroed Niece" often brings treats of some kind, and she's been on the boat often enough that she pretty much acts as a First Mate, bringing out stowed items, or helping stow them away properly along with tying up or helping cast off lines when leaving the slip.

One couple frequently brings their home made chicken salad sandwiches with them along with some chips and cookies. Not always, but just often enough to be gracious and not be mooches.

A while back, I took the neighborhood little old ladies, all but one of whom is a widow out for a cruise.

It was my treat, including Margarita's, Turkey Sandwiches, fresh from the garden cantaloupe and cucumbers.

One of them wanted to fish, so we hit up one of my favorite holes and after half a dozen nice catfish, which I later cleaned and bagged for her, putting them on ice in the cooler,) she suddenly got a shocked look on her face when the Lake Cops cruised up to do a License/Creel Check. She started stammering about not having a license :prayer , and I simply commented "This is one of those times when being a Seasoned Citizen pays off, you're old enough you don't have to have one. :nana

Basically, I'm laid back enough that anyone I've invited on my toon knows that it's my treat unless there's something they graciously offer to bring, or if they bring something they like that I don't keep on board.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

Gonefishing

#15 Post by Gonefishing » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm

I’m like the rest of you. If I invite you I don’t expect you to bring anything or pay for fuel. I’m going anyway. As for food I normally have snacks and drinks. If it’s planed to grill then I bring the grill and everything to grill. You are my guest and I invited you.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch