Texas Kill Switch Law

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

BobL

Texas Kill Switch Law

#1 Post by BobL » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am

A kill-switch law has been passed in Texas following a boating accident in Port, Aransas, Texas. The law requires that boat operators of a motor boat 26 feet or less in length be physically connected to a boat’s emergency shutoff switch.
https://www.thecampfirecollective.com/b ... XWGHqLRmUw
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Marc K

Re: Texas Kill Switch Law

#2 Post by Marc K » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 am

I have seen a lot of unexpected things happen while underway. My lanyard is always clipped to me when I am onboard - period.

When I am away from the helm, the lanyard is still attached to me because of how kids like to explore buttons, levers and knobs. There is a spare U clip/lanyard set stowed on board just in case. Kill switches are wonderful things.
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

onlybillhere

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm

I just ordered a new kill switch for my boat, didn't have one on there before (old owners never had one). Not sure why you would want to operate a vessel without the peace of mind of knowing if something happened at least the motor would shut off preventing any injuries.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

FogHorn

#4 Post by FogHorn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Being safety conscious in most things.... having operated boats for almost 50 years now without a kill-switch... I am curious why I consider this an over-reach. I may have felt the same way in 1964 when they started requiring seat belt in my Dodge 440. I mean... didn’t we always just automatically reach our arms out acroos the chests of our children standing in the front seats of our sedans? Wasn’t that the natural habit of every parent? :donno
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

Marc K

#5 Post by Marc K » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 am

FogHorn wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 pm
Being safety conscious in most things.... having operated boats for almost 50 years now without a kill-switch... I am curious why I consider this an over-reach. I may have felt the same way in 1964 when they started requiring seat belt in my Dodge 440. I mean... didn’t we always just automatically reach our arms out acroos the chests of our children standing in the front seats of our sedans? Wasn’t that the natural habit of every parent? :donno
I will assume that this is an attempt at sarcasm or you are casting bait looking for an argument.

FogHorn

#6 Post by FogHorn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Marc K wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 am
FogHorn wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 pm
I will assume that this is an attempt at sarcasm or you are casting bait looking for an argument.
I’m joking. Sort of. I was expressing both surprise and dismay for feeling that a kill switch law should be necessary for people who are otherwise safety-conscious. It’s an attempt at discussion of the subject. I was wondering if anyone else felt it necessary to have to be hooked up to a kill switch on a pontoon boat, ... a type which is inherently stable and are not particularly known for ejecting their helmsmen.

Liquid Asset

#7 Post by Liquid Asset » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Do you have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle in Texas? It's an honest question. Here in Michigan in required to wear a seat belt in a car " I always do" , yet they passed a law no longer required to wear a helmet. It amazes me what the government deems safe and not safe. No kill switch law here yet, but wouldn't a life jacket law be more effective? I'm all for safety, just don't think it's necessary to pass a law.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

FogHorn

#8 Post by FogHorn » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:31 am

Liquid Asset wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:44 pm
Do you have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle in Texas? It's an honest question. Here in Michigan in required to wear a seat belt in a car " I always do" , yet they passed a law no longer required to wear a helmet. It amazes me what the government deems safe and not safe. No kill switch law here yet, but wouldn't a life jacket law be more effective? I'm all for safety, just don't think it's necessary to pass a law.
I believe Texas law allows to ride with no helmet if over 21. (I haven’t ridden since I hit a deer at 70 mph back in ‘72. It was my 3rd motorcycle accident (the first two being with idiots in cars) and that was enough for me.). I always wore a helmet and had no problem with a mandatory helmet law. (Clearly I’m inconsistent on such matters...and that’s what I was wondering about publicly...my inconsistency when it applies to little ol’ rebel me.)
I agree that some public safety laws seem onerous. Seat belts, helmets, smoke detectors in hotel rooms, etc make some sense to me, and yet I’m miffed about the new Tx kill switch law. When they make cruise ship captains tie themselves to the wheel...
... but search/rescue is expensive and the public pays for that .
This kill switch law is likely more effective than a “don’t fall off the boat” law, I guess.

<edit>. I’ve just read a link that educated me sufficiently to remove my angst over this. I think I’ll relax and comply with the law. I was trying to find the exact wording of the law to determine retrofit requirements for my older boats but havn’t yet had success. (Except in a news story that states older boats do not need to be https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/pol ... 4b4805dd97 So why not? ... if it’s important ... it’s important...right? Meanwhile: https://sca.nasbla.org/2015/08/13/raise ... egulation/

Marc K

#9 Post by Marc K » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:43 am

I tend to recoil at anyone telling me what I can and cannot do. Don't even start me on so called gun control.

With regards to kill switches and this thread, I am all for it. Folks who assume that because they are very safe operators are overlooking the glaringly obvious issue of other, not so safe operators and a host of other potential causes. A runaway boat is not a pretty sight, but it is so simple to avoid. There are wireless versions that allow you to roam the boat.

Regardless of how it happens, I do not want my boat becoming a hazard to myself and others.