Redecking questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mofn

Redecking questions

#1 Post by mofn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:50 am

For those who have re-decked it's my intention to do this during early fall, but I want to try a few
different things:
1) Instead of laying the plywood across (poet to starboard) I'm thinking of going bow to stern to make it more ridged.
2) Using Marine plywood 5-ply, like how other marine upgrades are done, was thinking of coating the sheets and ends in epoxy so they last longer.
3) Holes for the playpen studs, and any other thru-holes ie: helm or seats was thinking of oversized holes filled with epoxy re-drilled so no wood is exposed.

Has anybody done any of the above? Would like to hear if you have and what the outcome was...was any of it worth the extra effort?
Thanks
mofn

Bamby

Re: Redecking questions

#2 Post by Bamby » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:14 am

1) Instead of laying the plywood across (poet to starboard) I'm thinking of going bow to stern to make it more ridged.

The above would actually weaken the structure ridgedy considerably. The plywood going from side to side provides the deck an enormous amount of resistance against twisting. Plus the seams are often protected above cross members which stops or resists water penetration of the deck from below. A unsupported seam running down the middle of a deck could host a lot of other issues, water penetration, seam movement walking causing damage to the deck finish material be it carpet or vinyl.

2) Using Marine plywood 5-ply, like how other marine upgrades are done, was thinking of coating the sheets and ends in epoxy so they last longer.

You could and it might make it last a bit longer.. But if you find you like pontooning I'm a willing to bet that if you use quality marine plywood that by the time that you may see some dividends for the additional time effort and materials you will have sold this boat and upgraded to a newer and better package.

3) Holes for the playpen studs, and any other thru-holes ie: helm or seats was thinking of oversized holes filled with epoxy re-drilled so no wood is exposed.

Drill neat holes just large enough for the fasteners and utilize flat fender washers, lock washers, and nylon hexnuts and don't forget the dab of never seize.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha