Anyone assembled a pontoon from a kit?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MattGent

Anyone assembled a pontoon from a kit?

#1 Post by MattGent » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:47 pm

There used to be this neat website from a company in Ohio called custompontoonboatkitsetc.com ; it appears to now be defunct. They were fabricators and would build you pieces or parts of a pontoon, or an entire boat, to your spec. Tube size / length / strakes / engine mounts all kinds of options. I think they also supplied industrial boats for ferry or first responder type work.

Looking around for them now I haven't found any info on that company.

I can find this in Canada http://u-fabboats.com/boatkits/boatkits.htm and this in South Carolina http://www.usapontoon.com/ . Great Lakes Skipper seems to have a bunch of new-old-stock logs and other parts, but you have to go with what they have available, and may be scratch-n-dent.

I'm interested in a high-performing but not so fancy boat, set up for salt water. It also has to be low for bridge clearance. I can do basic fabrication, detailed design, and have things welded up for the topsides. Would be neat to start from a basic hull platform that I specify.

Has anyone assembled their own? Who did you get the hardware from, and how did it go?

Liquid Asset

Re: Anyone assembled a pontoon from a kit?

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:59 pm

I believe you are thinking of fire and marine out of Springfield OH. They upfit fire trucks with tools and equipment. My brother is in the fire service and I remember showing him their site. They are building a website it says ,but when you look up reviews pontoon parts are mentioned.

Right now municipalities are buying and building fire trucks because they have funds again. Willing to bet the pontoon side of things got kicked to the side with higher profit work. I do remember that they sold American soft trim furniture and helms. Check Craigslist around the Elkhart IN area. Quite often whole chassis are for sale on there.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

MattGent

#3 Post by MattGent » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:01 am

Those are the guys, thanks for the lead.

willy13

#4 Post by willy13 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:46 pm

I bought 3 pontoons from them in the spring of 2017 to build a custom tritoon.