Low oil warning module needed?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Low oil warning module needed?

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 pm

So my 1995 60hp Mercury Tracker 2 stroke has a low oil warning module (for the oil) which also monitors the temperature of the head (i'm guessing). When I got the boat the oil temperature sensor wasn't connected at all. So I went ahead and connected the oil sensor leads to the wires from the oil warning module and when I did the alarm started going right off. Thinking there was an issue with the oil sensor in the oil tank I replaced it with a new one and still the alarm went off.
So at this point I'm thinking there is an issue with the module itself and why they left the wires disconnected to the oil sensor.
As long as I keep up with the oil level in the motor, make sure it's topped off before I go out, would there be any reason I would want to replace the warning module? It's $100 plus part.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

Liquid Asset

Re: Low oil warning module needed?

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:40 pm

If you're good with toping off the oil just use it as is. I'd have no problem running it without the warning. Chasing electrical gremlins on a motor can get expensive. There's no warning system on any motor that requires pre mix ! Honestly it's funny how we have become dependent on such things. Low fuel warning when there's a gauge, tire pressure sensors when you can look at a tire then check if needed. Just my opinion lol
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

onlybillhere

Re: Low oil warning module needed?

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 am

I am thinking the same way, just top off oil, check it periodically and I'll be good. I am replacing the voltage regulator now since that seems to be an issue. just seems like one thing after another...yea boats :)
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.