Comments on Starcraft Pontoon Boats

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Lamajama

Comments on Starcraft Pontoon Boats

#1 Post by Lamajama » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello all,

Rarely post but having been aggravated enough to finally make a few comments on our Starcraft pontoon boat.

It's a 2010 bought 2 years ago and frankly we've been quite happy with 95% of the boat.

The issue is ordering specific parts for this thing. You can't order direct from Starcraft - you must go thru their dealer network and being in Canada, these are few and far between. You can't find these
parts online at all, as apparently Starcraft is stuck in the 1990's. Fine - you want to support the dealers , have the parts etc on-line but a requirement to order thru the dealer website.

I've been 0 for 2 in replacement parts so far (not available) and I currently need a frigging gas cap. It was anchored by a flimsy 1970's Chinese-made 25 cent chain with a breaking strength of a wet noodle.

In order to replace the CAP, I am required to order the fill assembly as well and it comes out to $136.48 plus shipping to Canada and broker fees and taxes (shipping would be around $50 but that can change)
and broker fees are $38. So I'm looking at around $250 or more...for a GAS CAP.

Obviously 3rd party is the way to go but to match without the original or to try and determine the size/thread required with some semblance of certainty is a bit of a chore.

I know BOAT stands for "bring out another thousand" but didn't realize it started well on it's way for a gas cap.

Any Starcraft owners with some tips here?

PlaynDoc

Re: Comments on Starcraft Pontoon Boats

#2 Post by PlaynDoc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm

amazon has some gas caps, with filler tube... just a brief search did this: https://smile.amazon.com/NRC-XRC-Keyles ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

i didn't read specs, but perhaps there's something there you can get.. especially with Amazon's liberal return policies

good luck
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

Liquid Asset

#3 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 pm

No reason to purchase that whole assembly. It's not like starcaft made the cap. Can you find any brand names on the tank, or fittings? I'd rather buy several aftermarket cap vs pay that kind of money to the dealership.

Not sure on your exact style but that caps totally available somewhere. Between great lakes Skipper and eBay I'd think one is available!!!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am

Take a picture of your filler neck where the gas cap is supposed to go. If you can find another boat in your marina with a similar cap as yours, take a picture of that, too. Then do a google image search and you'll probably find a third party source. Or just google for StarCraft marine gas cap replacement and do an image search. You'll probably find it there!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

BobL

#5 Post by BobL » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Liquid Asset wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 pm
It's not like starcaft made the cap.
^^This.

Odds are it is a Perko, SeaDog, or Attwood. See if one of these looks like yours....

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/boating ... ing&page=1
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury