Trailer lighting locations

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Trailer lighting locations

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:09 am

Hi everyone! So I am going over my trailer lighting requirements here in Florida and based on what I have read I should have it set up like this:
lighting.PNG
lighting.PNG (167.24 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
now my trailer looks somewhat like this one minus the fenders over the wheels:
trailer.PNG
trailer.PNG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1996 times
So I don't have a place to put clearance lights on the fenders...since I don't have fenders, is that gonna matter?
I was gonna add some reflective tape and side markers up closer to the front of the trailer.
Any other suggestions? I already have the typical stop, turn, and parking lights on the back.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

FogHorn

Re: Trailer lighting locations

#2 Post by FogHorn » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am

I like to use reflective (red/white) tapes along the sides. Don’t forget to place one on each side waay up front near the hitch to allow someone to realize that, when it’s parked in the dark, they need to pas well in-front of the tongue. (Place the white in a forward pointing and the red toward the rear.)

Also, go ahead and buy quality tapes from RV/Trailer stores...avoid the Horrible-Fright cheapies... they fade from sunlight exposure pretty quickly and lose their reflectivity, then they’re hard to remove due to becoming brittle and hard.
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:40 am

Buy sealed LED tail lights. Almost all come with the side rear marker light as one piece.
As far as the front side markers, yellow, mine seem to always be going out for some odd reason. Just cheap I guess. My rears seam to last forever.
the center rear led light seems to last forever also.

I have NEVER been pulled over for side markers, only non functioning rear lights......
however, if a day on the water includes beverages, do not drive home with any lights not working....
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

onlybillhere

#4 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:54 pm

riplipper wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:40 am
however, if a day on the water includes beverages, do not drive home with any lights not working....
Is this from personal experience? I get the sense that a blinking or non-working light was the cause of it.

I got some guide guide posts for the trailer and the plan is to put a set of sealed led tail lights on it so it's far away from the water. I did get some smaller amber and red lights that I will put on the tube for the clearance lights and put a couple more amber lights on the trailer farther up. I also have the 3 light lightbar that trailers over 80" are to have. I hope to get it all wired up this weekend.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:28 am

Actually no experience, but I have reached this old age by using a bit of common sense and a whole lot of luck.
If a light is not working they have a "reasonable" reason to pull you over.....then its all over if you have had a few.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.