Auxiliary lighting

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

chunkersabre

Auxiliary lighting

#1 Post by chunkersabre » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 pm

I will be picking up a new Barletta E24QC within the next couple weeks. Nicely equipped as an "E" Barletta is but missing a couple of things that I feel are important from a safety issue. We boat a lot on a NW FL bay and bayou and frequently go out to watch the sunset, returning after dark. I have a good nav on my b=current G# which I plan to move over to the Barletta so that's covered. Lights. Navigation and anchor lights, as nice as LED can be, are still somewhat wimpy in being seen. Example on my motorcycles I have upgraded my lights to LRD and programmamable strobing brake lights etc. The theory being if they can see you maybe they won't hit you. I am planning to install underwater and/or exterior side lights that shine down the logs into the water. Additionally install RGB interior lights to help passengers see stuff on the floor. The boat isn't coming with them from the factory and the dealer wants 3 arms and legs to put them in.

I have done some brief research for good light kits but basically I'm pretty ignorant about what's out there. I'd like RGB plus white outside lighting and RGB adjustable inside. Any suggestions on a quality set that I'm looking for?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section on this forum for this question. I didn't see a Tech" section.

Thanks
Barletta E24QC

G3 LX 20 F/C SOLD

Bamby

Re: Auxiliary lighting

#2 Post by Bamby » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am

Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

chunkersabre

#3 Post by chunkersabre » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 am

Thanks, interesting reading but certainly not definitive. Extra lights can enhance safety but too much can hurt. Where I boat, Choctawhatchie Bay and connecting bayous in NW FL there are navigation channels with the red/green markers. Only about 1 in 5 are lit but they are reflective. The docking lights are very effective at being able to spot them. It's rather scary to be motoring back in on a dark night and pass closely by one off these markers because it wasn't lit. Docking lights really help in this situation. I could hold up my 1 million candle power hand held spotlight but that would be overkill and even blinding to me. I do have a Garmin chart plotter with them shown but the positioning is not 100% accurate. My intention is not to run back in with the under rail lights on but maybe have the stern underwater lights on. While sitting in the bay after dark with friends extra lighting makes me more visible. I flew helicopters for 45 years , accumulated close to 13,000 hours which over 3000 was night. True night, not night vision goggles or other "aided night". I'm well aware of night vision limitations. Fortunately the Garmin is adjustable. I pay little attention to dash gauges and I don't know about what their characteristics are on the new boat. Don't have it yet. If necessary I'll add a rheostat to the dash lights. Towel is good idea.

That said and with my plans to carefully use any lighting, I still would like some recommendations of better quality lighting kits. Not going to cheap out on safety. Ideally separate switches for under rail and under water, rheostats for them, and adjustable color and rheostats for the inside.

Note the old standard for aircraft was red interior/gauge lighting to not hurt night vision. Army helicopters have gone to a green/blue which is also night vision compatible but also NVG compatible. Of course on rheostats so they can be adjusted to be barely visible. Maximize night vision but be able to recognize if you have a system malfunction.
Barletta E24QC

G3 LX 20 F/C SOLD

riplipper

#4 Post by riplipper » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:35 am

I have interior lighting under my seats, they just light up the floor....they still negatively effect my night vision while driving in darkness so I do NOT recommend navigating with them on.

I would recommend a brighter LED anchor light for safety.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

chunkersabre

#5 Post by chunkersabre » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 am

I am sure the nav lights are LED and would imagine the anchor light is too but I'll check when I get it. I wouldn't run while running any extra interior lights or any exterior ones that have a negative effect on NV. The new boat has interior courtesy lights which I assume are white like the current boat. The basic plan is to be more visible while sitting in the bay under low light conditions plus be "purtier".

I replaced the bulb in the older boat with an LED but not a huge improvement. The bulb was a 918 base and I used one I had bought for the motorhome. Perhaps there are better brighter bulbs available. The lens has yellowed and crazed some and that contributes to less light shining through. Occasionally you see boats racing around the bay at night WOT and I'd like something better than the stock nav and anchor lights to make me more visible. While nothing new, in this area this past 4th of July there were 2 deadly boating crashes at night related to boats leaving fireworks demonstrations. One hit close by being a friend of my girl friend's family.
Barletta E24QC

G3 LX 20 F/C SOLD