Zebra mussels

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bilboinsa

Zebra mussels

#1 Post by Bilboinsa » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 pm

OK, our lake is now infested with these guys. We keep our tritoon at the marina, in water, but the motor is trimmed up and outif the water. I am considering buying a lift, but until then, I have some questions.

Has anyone sustained any real damage to their toons by these guys? During the summer, I can get in the water and clean off whatever exterior areas they are trying to latch onto. My biggest concern is that there are small water weep holes in some of the triangular toon bracing, and I found a few around the entrance. Not being able to clean that out, I am concerned that their weight could get substantial. Maybe not, since the bracing is only a couple inches. Still, a long brace equals lots of room.....

So has anyone really been affected substantially by these buggers? Thanks.

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: Zebra mussels

#2 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:13 pm

El Dorado Lake here in Kansas has Zebra Mussels and has for years.

I've had my boat in the water from Mid-March/First Part of April through the first of November for 6 seasons now.

I too keep the motor trimmed up and out of the water.

When we pull the boat, the Marina pressure washes the toon with a hot water pressure washer.
The heat causes the Zebra Mussels to release.

I find a few errant ones periodically while it winters in my warehouse building and I examine/inspect it, doing minor repairs or upgrades.

I'm pretty sure that being in the unheated warehouse building through Kansas Frigid Winters for about 5 months pretty much kills anything off that needs killed.

I have yet to have the Zebra Mussels be a problem.

So I'm guessing if you pressure clean your toon periodically, you should be fine.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: Zebra mussels

#3 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:14 pm

El Dorado Lake here in Kansas has Zebra Mussels and has for years.

I've had my boat in the water from Mid-March/First Part of April through the first of November for 6 seasons now.

I too keep the motor trimmed up and out of the water.

When we pull the boat, the Marina pressure washes the toon with a hot water pressure washer.
The heat causes the Zebra Mussels to release.

I find a few errant ones periodically while it winters in my warehouse building and I examine/inspect it, doing minor repairs or upgrades.

I'm pretty sure that being in the unheated warehouse building through Kansas Frigid Winters for about 5 months pretty much kills anything off that needs killed.

I have yet to have the Zebra Mussels be a problem.

So I'm guessing if you pressure clean your toon periodically, you should be fine.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]