OnBoard Charger

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

xrayrob2010

OnBoard Charger

#1 Post by xrayrob2010 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:33 am

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum. I am a first time boat owner, I've owned my boat for just over 3 years. I have a 26 foot Suntracker Bass Barge powered by a 200 Optimax pro XS. I just looking for some advice or insight. I bought 2 bank XPS iT2 onboard charger and I'm just wondering where everyone else is mounting theirs? maybe some pics? My current setup like most with a fishing pontoon is the trolling motor battery is located in front by the trolling motor and the engine battery is located in the back. The wires are only like 6 ft long so I know I'm most-likely going to need the extenders. It also says in the manual to not mount on vinyl. Anyone have any experience mounting/installing one of these on a boat like this. Thanks in advance.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: OnBoard Charger

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 am

I don't run a trolling motor but use 2 batteries. 1 for accessories and the other for motor. Mine is mounted in the changing room encloser which is also where my batteries are. I use a timer to only run for an hour a day. this keeps thing charged without worry of overcharging as my last onboard charger did.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

jediger

#3 Post by jediger » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:35 pm

I have four batteries on board. Two for the trolling motor under the helmet with a two bank charger right next to them. Port is mounted to my fencing just outside my helmet.

The second two are in the stern with one for the motor and one for the house. Both of these are hooked to the alternator.

I looked into a 4 bank but it was both space and cost prohibitive. If I get around to it I might mount a second 2 bank in the stern.

From the sounds of it your best bet would be to mount in the motor convenient spot close to one battery (bow or stern doesn't matter unless its huge and weight is an issue). Then just tun a single extension under the deck to the second battery.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

xrayrob2010

#4 Post by xrayrob2010 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Thats what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if there was a better way that I was not thinking of.