Some basic newbie questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

riplipper

Re: Some basic newbie questions

#16 Post by riplipper » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Buy Local is all I can add and stress.
Depending on where you live, I would avoid Suzuki, not that they are bad engines at all, but they have a very limited dealer network in most places, even today.
Not bashing at all, I owned twins at one time, but getting them serviced was a PITA
If budget allows, tritoon and 150hp. You will not regret it. If you ever want to trailer to larger bodies of water the larger HP will help.

Mine is a 22 Harris with 200
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

bansil

#17 Post by bansil » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:53 am

so Doc, any luck browsing yet?
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

haganjeff

#18 Post by haganjeff » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:30 am

riplipper wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:36 pm
Buy Local is all I can add and stress.
Depending on where you live, I would avoid Suzuki, not that they are bad engines at all, but they have a very limited dealer network in most places, even today.
Not bashing at all, I owned twins at one time, but getting them serviced was a PITA
If budget allows, tritoon and 150hp. You will not regret it. If you ever want to trailer to larger bodies of water the larger HP will help.

Mine is a 22 Harris with 200
I didn't follow that line of thinking at all. I did my research and spoke to dealers and other boat owners at the docks and people loved their Suzuki. The closest Suzuki dealer is about 45 miles, while my purchasing dealer was 150 miles away. Purchased my pontoon new in March 2016. I did my 10 hour break in by ordering the parts off Brown's Point Marina online and then did the same thing for my 100 hour service last year. I am at 135 hours and a dealer has never touched my motor. It runs perfectly and I have some satisfaction completing these simple fluid changes myself. When it needs an impeller next year, I will have that done by a local mobile mechanic. I don't expect any issues. but if they happen, I have a 6 year warranty and will drag it in to the dealer then. I don't regret for a minute not servicing it a dealer. In fact, doing these services myself has saved several hundred dollars!...If you can follow a YouTube video, then you can do these services at home!
2016 Bentley Elite Admiral 220 - 115HP Suzuki
Strakes, LED Package, Hydraulic Steering

steve1313

#19 Post by steve1313 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 am

I've said it here before and I'll say it here (and everywhere else) again...…….. Pick your dealer, then pick your boat.
The right dealer is much more important in the boat world than in the car world. If you have an issue during boating season and you just take it to the nearest dealer and you didn't buy from them, expect to go to the back of the service line while they service boats from THEIR customers. You can lose weeks during the season.

As far as what to buy, it sounds like speed is important to you. I'm the same way. My previous V-hull boat would run 48 mph. That was plenty fast. My current tritoon runs 38-40 and although that's fine, a few more MPH wouldn't be bad. To me 40 in a boat feels like 65 or 70 in a car. Remember, when boating you get the full force of the wind in your face. Go outside in a 40 mph wind and it's significant. Same thing in a boat.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

jeffh129

#20 Post by jeffh129 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:28 pm

If you can get the boat locally for near the same price as elsewhere, do it. Even if you have to pay a couple of hundred dollars more. A lot of dealers will give preference to boats purchased through them. A three week wait for service may be reduced to a few days if you service it where you bought it.

TDJ2591

#21 Post by TDJ2591 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 am

WWIND3. - I think you just explained why I get better speed going into the wind. I was thinking that perhaps the Bimini was giving it lift but the underpinning makes more sense. Thanks!
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]