Some basic newbie questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

DocPit

Some basic newbie questions

#1 Post by DocPit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am

I’m thinking about buying a pontoon boat. I have no boating experience at all. Hoping someone can help me get answers to some questions based on preliminary research.

1) I live a half mile from Lake Murray (SC). There are three dealers close-by on the lake. I’m thinking that if any work need be done under warranty, it would be much more convenient to have it done by an establishment that is located nearby. Therefore, I’m thinking I do better to purchase the boat from one of these local establishments. Does that make sense? Or could warranty work be done by any marina, regardless of where I purchased the boat?

2) The vast majority of the time, I would go out alone. I would take the boat out a little way and read or work on a laptop. The boat is primarily a way for me to get out of the office and still be able to work. To that end, I don’t need a boat that can tow skiers at speed. On the other hand, I have very little patience moving at a put-put pace. I love machines, and I do want to have a pleasant experience getting from point A to point B without growing old before I get there. One dealer told me he has a 20’ Bennington tritoon with a 115hp engine that he feels would fit my needs. He says the 115 can power the boat to about 35 mph. For me, 35 mph is slow on the road, but I don’t know how that feels on the water. Can anyone advise me on hp?

3) Is hydraulic steering a major advantage over mechanical steering?

It would be great if I could get some help with these issues. Thanks.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Some basic newbie questions

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:00 pm

As a long time tooner IMO a 22ft, 3 log with minimum 150hp for all around use. It will cruise as a slow or medium speed yet get you where you want to go at good speed. I totally agree about buying local when possible for after sale service
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:49 pm

With big HP engines the power steering is great, when you out by yourself it pays to keep and line tied to your belt, if you mess up and fall over without it being anchored, it can blow away from you at 4 mph in a light wind, you would never catch up to it.

One member gave me that idea when he was out with the wife and they were just floating around, he jumped in to swim around the pontoon, he got out away from it a little then noticed it was moving away and tried to catch up to it but it was gaining speed.

The wife had to start up and circle to pick him up.

Every since that day when I was fishing or just out by myself and the dog, I kept a line tied to me long enough to move around on the boat plus 10 feet, I knew if I fell off the dog would jump in and we would have been stuck swimming it not worse.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

SamiGuy

#4 Post by SamiGuy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:21 pm

My 22' two toon with 115 can push up to 35ymph on a good day. Plenty fast for me, BUT IMO, I have never heard anyone want less HP. Would it do, sure. Depends on the deal and IF you ever want to tube etc. Mine is non hydraulic steering, but the hydraulic would be nice. Good Luck!!!!
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Yamaha F115LA

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:03 am

Hi Docpit... let me throw my 2 cents. I don't necessarily agree that you should buy the biggest engine you can afford.. I"m not saying that's wrong, but I think you should buy a boat and motor that suits your needs.. for example my wife and I use our pontoon basically to go fishing.. It's a Bennington 20 footer with a 75 horse 4 stroke yamaha... my boat tops out at around 24 to 25 mph... plenty fast enough for me.. now having said that if you see a storm coming in, a bigger motor will get you back to the launch quicker, but for me that happens so rarely that I couldn't rationalize the extra expense for a larger motor. Also if it's just going to be you going out most of the time, I would think a 20 footer would be fine. My boat is a 20 footer and we can handle 6 to 8 people quite comfortably... but like you, it's normally just me or me and my wife 90 % of the time and that 20 footer is plenty big enough. I think a bennington 20 footer with a 115 would suit your needs fine... if you wanted to step it up, ( and step up the cost ) a 22 footer with a 150 would be a nice pkg. Good luck boat shopping.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

wwind3

#6 Post by wwind3 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 am

Whatever boat you get---run rated horsepower. I have a 2009 20 ft Lowe with a 90 Merc Optimax. Runs 27 now with a stainless prop----28-29 with same pitch aluminum--go figure.
A pontoon boat is basically like pushing a big box thru the water..

One thing I highly recommend is underskinning-smoothes out the ride and in my case acts a little like a wing that provides a little bow lift--ie--I am a little faster into the wind than downwind because I get the bow up a little more. Weird I know. Love the pontoon boat and I've been the bassboat route, etc.

Good luck--
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

TWB

#7 Post by TWB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:17 am

Many of the guys here are long-time tooners. Many of us are relatively new. Me, I am 3 years in and here's what I would throw into the discussion.
We have a 24' with a 75hp Merc. I'm more of a leisure cruise kinda guy, so I am happy with around 20 mph. (BTW - 35 on the water feels a good bit different than 35 on the street IMO.)
We, generally, are within 6-8 miles from home and keep enough of an eye on the sky to try to avoid getting caught in a storm. If I'm planning on going farther, I take a good look at the radar before and during the ride. Ever ride a motorcycle in the rain? Ouch!
Whatever choices you make, I would recommend some serious "practice" time early on. Take it out and see how comfortable you are at 20, then 25, then 30, etc. I live on the intracoastal (always moving) and I thought I was doing pretty well until the first time I porpoised on a choppy day. 1st is Holy Shit. 2nd is everything's now soaked.
I kinda like Herb's recommendation of a "leash" when you're out alone - sounds geeky, but sure would suck to have to try to catch a drifting boat!
Enjoy!

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

TWB

#8 Post by TWB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:29 am

By the way, Docpit -- Welcome to the forum! Lots of good people and more helpful information than you could ever need.
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

Marc K

#9 Post by Marc K » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:40 am

Welcome.

It also comes down to budget and your comfort level in boat handling. Will your boat live in a slip on the lake or will you launch/recover to the trailer by yourself? A smaller boat is a huge advantage when operating by yourself when the breeze comes up.

I have 115 HP with manual steering on my old 25' and I have never found myself wishing that I had power assist. With more HP, it becomes a very different story. For your stated needs, I think that your dealer is pointing you in the right direction. Yes, 35 MPH will feel like you are getting somewhere - but if you have a need for speed, even 150 HP may not do it for you.

I would really suggest that you take a ride on a pontoon boat (or boats) to see how you feel about speed and what other things that you like and don't like.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Liquid Asset

#10 Post by Liquid Asset » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:50 pm

If you're totally new to boating and pontoon boats I'd recommend taking several test drives. Doesn't sound like that should be a problem we don't even have ice up here in Michigan lol. With no boating experience you have no set expectations. Go see what you like. You'll know right away if you want a regular pontoon or tri toon , hydraulic steering, and the h.p. desired.

You need to at the least go for a pontoon ride before you pull the trigger on a new boat! Go check some out and then come back with some questions. There's a bunch of experience here and we'll gladly help you out with your search. Good luck and keep us posted!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

jediger

#11 Post by jediger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:40 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:49 pm
With big HP engines the power steering is great, when you out by yourself it pays to keep and line tied to your belt, if you mess up and fall over without it being anchored, it can blow away from you at 4 mph in a light wind, you would never catch up to it.
LOL. I've been known to jump in the water when it's hot and I'm fishing by myself in the middle of the lake. Not all of these times involve swimming suits. :wink: One time I killed the engine but forgot to wait till all my forward momentum had bleed off before jumping off the back. Quickly realized the boat was still moving and had more of a swim then anticipated. Fortunately, caught it a few minutes later. :prayer Thankfully was also wearing a suit that day. That's something no rescuer wants to see. Lesson learned!
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

DocPit

#12 Post by DocPit » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Many thanks for the good advice and the humor. We can all use a laugh now and then.

sunedog

#13 Post by sunedog » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:33 am

Hello Docpit and welcome, neighbor. I am on Lake Murray as well. If you would consider a used boat to dip your toe in the water, my 2011 Bennington is for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26028

They're great boats and I am in the market for another Bennington when I sell this one. If it is in your budget, I'd suggest a tritoon with a 150 or more. That's what I hope to upgrade to.

It's currently in storage, but I will probably put it in the water mid February or the first of March at the latest. I'd be happy to take you for a ride whether you are a potential buyer or if you just want to get a feel for pontoon boat speed and ride.

John

BobL

#14 Post by BobL » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:47 am

What most people in your situation find out is you will use the boat for more things that you originally planned. This happened to me. I had a MasterCraft for water sports and bought my first toon just for "putting" around. Ended up using it a lot more than originally thought....started pulling tubes, going to eat, etc.. Below is my progression:

20' Bentley with 90HP pontoon
22" South Bay Tri-toon with 115HP
23' Xcursion Tri-toon with 150HP

I am very happy with my setup now and have had it for 6 years this May.

As to your other points.

All of the above boats came from the same dealer. Dealers can make or break a boating experience. Find a good dealer(s) first then start researching the lines they represent.

I don't find mechanical steering to be a problem but would go hydraulic if I got a bigger motor.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

zoom650

#15 Post by zoom650 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi Doc ..

Two words. "Test drive". Water test a few boats and see what feels good to you. Atlanta is on the verge of a big boat show. Look around and you'll find more. It is that time of year to window shop and dream .. and if you find that perfect deal .. to buy. At least you can judge the discounts offered. I'd never pay more than boat show price anytime. Test drives allow you to feel the differences in types of steering. (I put power assisted steering on my Verado 150.) You can feel different rides offered by different hulls.

For repair/warranty work, separate the boat and the engine. As long as you have a marine repair shop certified on the type of engine you choose, you should be able to get warranty work. Not true for the vessel and hull, so that's where the real dealer service might come into play. Almost all new boats will need dealer tweaks under warranty to dial them in after a couple months of use.

Happy shopping. If you need help we can spend the heck out of your money for you!
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.